Audi, Porsche Open to Selling TDI's in US Again

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
"(U.S. regulators have approved a fix to bring the group’s existing 3.0-liter V-6 TDI into compliance.)"

LOL, this journalist is an idiot and there are plenty of them.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
"(U.S. regulators have approved a fix to bring the group’s existing 3.0-liter V-6 TDI into compliance.)"

LOL, looks like journalists like this one are idiots these days.
Yes, that is not announced, bad error. But I think the sourcing of Porsche and Audi quotes is probably valid. Also, Reuters reported this week that sources have told them to expect more than one fix announcement in the coming weeks.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Yes, that is not announced, bad error. But I think the sourcing of Porsche and Audi quotes is probably valid. Also, Reuters reported this week that sources have told them to expect more than one fix announcement in the coming weeks.
In the coming WEEKS? To be announced by whom? What fix? Compliance fix? Or it's just VW/Audi/Porsche submitting the fix plan to EPA/CARB?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
An Audi or Porsche diesel TDI would easily cost twice what we paid for our Passat TDI. They can import all they want, but it's not happening, at least for us.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
In the coming WEEKS? To be announced by whom? What fix? Compliance fix? Or it's just VW/Audi/Porsche submitting the fix plan to EPA/CARB?
Look in the EPA thread, I put the Reuters link there. Or don't bother, and just keep heaping scorn and disbelief on everything you read.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This falls inline with some of my speculation that we may not see a VW diesel in the near future but that doesn't mean we won't see a diesel from VWAG. The upscale brands are at a better price point to absorb the difference in motor costs. I had a new Q5 for a rental lately and really liked it. Very quite and smooth. If only it had been a diesel!

For the Atlas, I want the original concept of diesel-hybrid. It was supposed to be the first in North America.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The Atlas needs the 3.0 TDI. It would double the sales I bet.
Same has been said if VW brought the Amorak to the us to, yet VWoA has done the research.

Atlas is competing with jane plan 3 row SUVs that are on the market be cause people "need" three rows. It meets the price point of comparable offerings anything above that people shop some place else.

Look at what they are doing to Tiguan, sales queen of Europe, yet they can't move them here when people cross shop it with a rav4, CRV.

Soon as you start going upper end on VW I feel main stream people lose interest and say "pay +45K for a VW? pfft" I still with my Pilot or Explorer, or I'll just get the nose rings.

/end rant of american consumers

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In 07, we cross shopped the Tiguan versus the CR-V. It was several thousand dollars more, required premium gas, and did not have as much interior space. My wife also thought it just looked like a butched-up (her words) Golf. The only advantage that would have put the Tiguan on top was a diesel engine.

With GM bringing out a diesel in their midsized SUV in the fall, it may finally push others that direction. My wife would now rather have the three rows for the times that we visit the kids and need room for the car seat, stroller, and four to six adults.

Last edited:

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Same has been said if VW brought the Amorak to the us to, yet VWoA has done the research.
Atlas is competing with jane plan 3 row SUVs that are on the market be cause people "need" three rows. It meets the price point of comparable offerings anything above that people shop some place else.
Look at what they are doing to Tiguan, sales queen of Europe, yet they can't move them here when people cross shop it with a rav4, CRV.
Soon as you start going upper end on VW I feel main stream people lose interest and say "pay +45K for a VW? pfft" I still with my Pilot or Explorer, or I'll just get the nose rings.
/end rant of american consumers
The main reason we don't have the Amorak is because of the chicken tax, not so much demand in the marketplace.

With your argument, the NMS Passat was also offered for those same reasons. But it had a TDI option, and they sold many more cars because of it. That Atlas really doesn't compete as well as you'd think. For instance; it's marketed towards families yet it does not offer any sort of entertainment system.

I would go for the Atlas after we sell the Passat back but there are 4 things I hate about it:
  1. No TDI
  2. The engine looks sunk down in under the hood because it's built on a compact car platform.
  3. The exhaust tips molded into the rear bumper are FAKE.
  4. No enterainment system.