Attn: PD150 Intake Owners

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I have measured the position of the OEM ALH intake's EGR/ASV flange.

I need someone with a PD150 intake to make the same measurement and let me know what it is. I need it to refine the fitment of Racepipes and ASV adapters.

Here is how I measured Red (a 2000 ALH):

I butted the tape measure to the edge of the fender brace about an inch in front of the shock tower:

Here is the intake flange end:

You will note the measurement I get is about 15 5/16" for the flange face of the intake. I expect the PD150 intake to measure somewhere between 15 1/2" to 15 3/4" based on reports that I have received about the fitment of a couple of prototype PD150 racepipes I sent out.

So far there have been no complaints of leakage from the viton flat gaskets I am using which are part of the huge cost savings of my design.

I stand by my warnings to those who would use a racepipe. The buyer must be aware of what the ASV (anti-studder valve) does and how it could stop a runaway condition, and accept the risk as an informed consumer. What I would rather do is sell an adapter that would allow the OEM ASV to bolt up to the PD150 intake, but I plan to offer both. If someone else develops a racepipe with an ASV function for the ALH, I will recommend it over my offerings if it works as advertised.

Anywhoo, I need this measurement from an installed PD150 intake, in either inches or metric will be fine.

Thanks!

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Mike, do you want measurements with or without EGR? The racepipe you made for my PD150 works great. I can take a measurement sans the racepipe if you'd like tonight..

Let me know.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
LNXGUY said:
Mike, do you want measurements with or without EGR? The racepipe you made for my PD150 works great. I can take a measurement sans the racepipe if you'd like tonight..

Let me know.
Thanks!

Just to where the intake gasket surface where racepipe gasket is would be puuuurfect!

You shouldn't need to take anything apart to measure it.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
How about a flat plate adapter, maybe 3/4" to 1" thick (kind of like an AFB to Quadrajet style adapter) to bolt an ALH EGR to the 150 manifold?

Is that you holding the Jack Daniels while shooting the machine gun? Why don't you make that your avatar?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Left Coast Resident said:
How about a flat plate adapter, maybe 3/4" to 1" thick (kind of like an AFB to Quadrajet style adapter) to bolt an ALH EGR to the 150 manifold?

Is that you holding the Jack Daniels while shooting the machine gun? Why don't you make that your avatar?
You have read my mind with the adapter plate deal. ;)

Yes, the pic was me some ~25 years or so ago in my youth... :p

It was before the 1987 Bush Sr. (Mr. NWO Globalist) assault weapons ban.

It is Mossberg 500 that I modified and the shells are my own reloads. Ahhh... isn't it such a shame that the days of youth are wasted on the young? :D

BTW, the Glock assembly plant moved in across the street from that location a few years after that pic was taken. That made the old Girl Scout Camp shooting range VERY uncool thereafter. :mad:

As far as the avatar, I don't want to be mistaken for terrorizing or threatening people... :eek:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
. . .
LurkerMike said:
BTW, the Glock assembly plant moved in across the street from that location a few years after that pic was taken. That made the old Girl Scout Camp shooting range VERY uncool thereafter. :mad:

For many years when I lifted weights, I had a casual friend from the gym -- a demure, religious, young lady who was a percussionist. You know exactly where this is going, don't you? That's right -- when I heard she played the Glock you can imagine what kind of a gig I told her I had for her. And with a straight face how I told her it paid quite well and didn't require too many rehearsals . . .

As far as the avatar, I don't want to be mistaken for terrorizing or threatening people... :eek:

As near as I can tell, you're already verbally terrorizing the whole forum.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Bazmcc said:
I can do this later if no-one has already measured it.
Please!

A friend sent me this pic and a measurement of 17.25"

That means the PD150 is about 2" shorter than the VE90 intake.

An ALH EGR/ASV is about 4" long.

So we can deduce that we need a PD150 to ALH upper hose racepipe about 6" long...

Or, we could use a 2" long VE90 EGR/ASV (or racepipe) to PD150 adapter like this one I had made today:

The pipe on the left is one of the unfinished upper hose molds.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Most people that are doing any intake work usually do an EGR delete. Why not make the adapter pipe a little longer, put a bead rolled edge on it and just connect the corner piece to the adapter with a straight piece of silicon pipe? It would be less welding and less parts to worry about.
Baz

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Bazmcc said:
Most people that are doing any intake work usually do an EGR delete. Why not make the adapter pipe a little longer, put a bead rolled edge on it and just connect the corner piece to the adapter with a straight piece of silicon pipe? It would be less welding and less parts to worry about.
Baz
I plan to do racepipes in aluminum for several reasons. One is so I can offer a racepipe with a 2/3-Bar MAP sensor mounting flange.

The holdup on my PD150 racepipe offering is I need to get a PD150 intake to make sure my PD150 racepipe is designed to work with my upper pipe.

I believe my upper and lower IC pipes, couplings and hoses will yield similar gains on a VE90 intake that a PD150 intake will give on OEM IC pipes. When my IC pipe kits are coupled with a low restriction IC like the Eurojet SMIC and the PD150 intake, I expect to see lower turbo temps, lower turbo rpms, lower charge air temp, greater overall engine efficiency and of course less smoke and moar powah!

I plan to test the volume of the OEM IC system verses my IC system when I have all the parts in production. I expect that my pipes will be somewhere between 20% to 30% more internal volume. I would also estimate they would be at least 75% to 150% less restrictive to flow at peak hp verses the OEM plumbing. I believe that is a very conservative estimate, but I have no easy way to test the resistance to flow.

I believe that one must look at the complete system when doing mods or one is going to leave too much potential gain on the table...

The turbo is an air pump that feeds the engine which itself is also an air pump. The exhaust system and the IC system of pipes must both be examined and improved in minute detail for maximum gains.

With that said, there are still compromises that must be made due to various factors such as cost, or fit or even preservation of the ASV feature. A single 2" long restriction in a straight section just prior to the intake (the EGR/ASV) is still far less impedance to flow than the many convoluted restrictions in the OEM IC system. It is a hit that I for one take every time to have some runaway engine protection.

Secondly, we don't know what size a working ASV racepipe that someone like StreetToys might offer. If it is a direct replacement for the ALH EGR/ASV, then my adapter could be used to fit it to the PD150 intake. If it is offered in two sizes, one for the VE90 intake and one for the PD150 intake, I personally would probably opt for the VE90 version and use my adapter for greater universal interchange should I ever decide to sell it an go in another direction.

Another issue is many people already have a more expensive, nicer racepipe than I will offer. For those, I would think they would rather keep the racepipe they have and use an adapter than to downgrade to a cheaper, less fancy low budget racepipe.

So yea, I see the need for both a PD150 racepipe and a PD150 adapter.

KROUT

persona non grata
Mike I have a pd150 egr valve I can send you if that will help you any. I am never going to use it. I supose I should try to sell it. lol

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
KROUT said:
Mike I have a pd150 egr valve I can send you if that will help you any. I am never going to use it. I supose I should try to sell it. lol
Name your price! :D

A couple of pics an a measurement of its length would really help.

Does it have the ASV feature like the ALH EGR's?

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
If it's just measurements of the EGR you need, I've got one - just tell me what you need measured. If it's on-the-car measurements you require, I can't help you as mine points the wrong way :)

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
cheeba said:
If it's just measurements of the EGR you need, I've got one - just tell me what you need measured. If it's on-the-car measurements you require, I can't help you as mine points the wrong way :)
Is this a PD150 EGR?

Does it have the ASV built into it?

What inside diameter hose fits over the end?

How long is it?

KROUT

persona non grata
Give me your address I will ship it to you. Send it back when your done. It has a hose on it but I had to cut it to rig it up to work.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Mine is from an Audi A4 1.9TDi, but fits on my PD130 Passat manifold. Part #: 038 129 637 L -- my guess would be that the EGR is the same for all of the PD130/150 manifolds (maybe someone from EU can confirm that).

The meansurement at the inlet is discounting the lip for the circlip-type connector. The lip is not uniform, thus any measurements would be different depending on from which two points on the circumference they are taken. Let me know if you need more measurements, or more significant figures.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
cheeba said:
The meansurement at the inlet is discounting the lip for the circlip-type connector. The lip is not uniform, thus any measurements would be different depending on from which two points on the circumference they are taken.
Thanks!

What you call the "circlip-type connector" is what I call the "CRACK PIPE" connector. They were on crack when they devised it as a means of complicating modifications and making any mods more expensive! :mad:

If all PD150 EGR/ASV valves were crack pipe connector equipped, they will probably be of little benefit to me. :(

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
I was under the impression that all the PD150/PD150 EGR valves were 'crack-pipe' connector equipped (don't know for sure, though). I am just going to grind it off and throw a 2.75" hose on there.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Here is what Mike’s prototype adapter looks like installed. Works quite well. As you may know by now, apparently there are some slight differences between some of the PD manifolds – I think Mike is working out how to handle this – the simplest way would be to slightly slot the manifold side adapter holes.

Anyway, I clamped the adapter to my drill press and opened up the bolt holes on the manifold side a couple of sizes. Also on this prototype, the ALH EGR holes are dead on (which would be correct as I don’t think there are any variations in the EGR valves). These holes were unthreaded (don’t know what Mike’s production ones will be like), but I decided I liked this. This allowed me to use a nut and a bolt instead; to put the bolt through from the adapter side; and for ease of assembly, to put the nut on from the EGR side. This way there is no interference with the EGR block off plate during installation.

Al

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210979

Wow, almost a year later...

I developed a dual PD130/PD150 flange:

I purchased what was supposed to be a PD150 intake but it turns out it is a PD130 intake, pn 038128713BC. Having received that PD150 ASV from KROUT to verify the flanges I made last year were in fact PD150 flanges, I found I only needed to oval one hole to fit both intakes as Al suggested.

It looks to me like I need to make the ALH ASV/EGR adapter for my PD130 intake ~1 3/4" long give or take, based on the intake's flange distance to the air pipe mounting holes and allowing for my two Vitron gasket thicknesses.

And Al, this means that you didn't get a PD150 intake either. Yours appears to be a PD130 as well... which explains why the PD150 adapter flange needed the hole slotted to work.

Also it is ironic that I will be paying KROUT for the PD150 ASV/EGR valve exactly one year to the day after he shipped it... weird...