Atlanta area alignment shop?

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I went by Kauffman Tire Decatur and they said they could not do my alignment. The subframe needs to shift around and the rear seems to be out. I had just installed TT control arm bushings up front but left the front/front bushings on as they looked ok. I just did the rear axle bushings today. I see there is available slop in the rear mounting plate. There is also a bit of play you can use on the front ball joints. In any event has anyone who is AR (fussy about their car and likes fussy mechanics) found an alignment shop in Atlanta where they had someone who knew what to do and also knew to replace torque to yield bolts? I could go by Dwight Harrison but I am not a big fan of dealers but if I fuss and cuss maybe they will use a torque wrench. Last time they touched my car it took a 3 foot breaker bar to get some lug bolts off after a cv boot warranty repair.

Never wrecked car. I did jump a curb in parking lot going slow though.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
I went by Butler Tire on Roswell Road in Atlanta. The tech said the rear was fine, everything was in green. The front went all green with the twist of tie rods except for one measurement. The tech said it was pretty close and doing subframe stuff can just make things worse. Car seems to go down the road a bit better. Maybe I can recover the 10% mileage hit I suffered after doing new TT bushings and new tires. Having the toe out that much was eating the new tires and could easily mess up mileage a bit. Lots of bling bling cars at that location. Tech did say he had a VW in recently which was a mini Bentley. Same suspension and same stuff inside. I do not keep up with cars so I have no clue what it might have been. CC maybe? Funny to me that he worked on a Bentley but you see them around Atlanta.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
The Kauffman on Cheshire Bridge did mine a couple months ago. But only the front toe was out of range, so that was all that was adjusted. The computer shows everything is back in range after the alignment, and the car now drives like it did before it went out of alignment, so I guess they did the job okay. But I thought Kauffman was on the expensive side for an alignment.

You might try calling Karma VW in Decatur and ask them who they recommend for alignments for late-model VWs (assuming Karma doesn't do that kind of work, in which case I'd just go there).
http://www.karmagermanimports.com

If Karma can't or won't recommend anyone, then try Lewis Motorwerks on Lawrenceville Hwy and ask who they recommend. But I wouldn't let them touch a TDI motor. Anything non-TDI specific, however, and I'd trust them to work on any VW. http://www.lewismotorwerks.com

Last edited:

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
Butler took care of me. I generally do all my own work. I don't have an alignment rack though.

Zambee500 said:
The Kauffman on Cheshire Bridge did mine a couple months ago. But only the front toe was out of range, so that was all that was adjusted. The computer shows everything is back in range after the alignment, and the car now drives like it did before it went out of alignment, so I guess they did the job okay. But I thought Kauffman was on the expensive side for an alignment.

You might try calling Karma VW in Decatur and ask them who they recommend for alignments for late-model VWs (assuming Karma doesn't do that kind of work, in which case I'd just go there).
http://www.karmagermanimports.com

If Karma can't or won't recommend anyone, then try Lewis Motorwerks on Lawrenceville Hwy and ask who they recommend. But I wouldn't let them touch a TDI motor. Anything non-TDI specific, however, and I'd trust them to work on any VW. http://www.lewismotorwerks.com

TNTKNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Perfect Precision in Roswell or alpharetta I don't remember, did mine. I don't know what I did with their card. I was in and out in 20 minutes. Just remind them to make sure the wheel is straight. They did a good job on mine.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Mike Holden in Snellville does mine. Mike is very thourough. Let him know Ed sent you.

Holden Automotive
2369 Main St E
Snellville, GA 30078
(770) 982-5546