Are all 10mm pumps equal? (AHU vs AFN)

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Hi all,

As some of you know I've transplanted an AFN in to my A6, and it has a few oddities that I've been puzzling over, like IQ is a bit odd, and Evry doesn't work at all, throwing a code whatever its set to.

This got me wondering - I have an AHU pump and injectors on this engine with Zexel 502 nozzles. Are the AHU and AFN pumps the same or are there subtle differences that could be causing the strangeness? Saying that, are the injector bodies different too?

Afaik the only differences in the two engines are the turbo and nozzles, but I still have a lot to learn about these things... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :)

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
There are different pumps with 10mm rotor. Its not only the rotor size, but also the cam plate. I'm not even sure that all AFN engines use the same pump.

To validate that two pump are equal check the BOSCH/VAG number.

To transfer pump from one car to another with different 10mm pump and to have perfectly working engine you need to modify your ECU software. There is a pump voltage calibration map that should be taken from the donor car also.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Bassically there are 2 types of pumps fitted on the 1.9 tdi engine: 90 Bhp ones without the reinforcing ribs wich have a lower pressure case and the ones with ribs wich can sustain higher pressures...You need to port your head mate and get a 11mm pump and 0.260 nozzles in there mate. Night and day difference ! I am still running the stock 90 Bhp map in the AHH i have rebuilt, with Bosio race 520 nozzles and a hybrid VNT1749VA. I reckon 160Bhp easily with a lot of smoke out of the back at WOT ! Eagerly waiting for the adaptor flanges from ryan so the gtb2260vk can get in there...

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
the adapter are on their way now :)

AFN pumps have a deeper timing cover for more dynamic advance.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
AFN pumps have a deeper timing cover for more dynamic advance.
Is that the domed thing on the front of it? What does that actually mean? :confused:

So there are subtle differences in the pumps then. Is it worth the bother to change to an AFN pump? Will it make a noticable difference?
I don't have the ££ to get an AHH pump just yet.

The head is already ported, with a GT2052V turbo and large FMIC, so it has plenty of air. I just need to get the fuelling components right before remap time :)

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Well that explains a lot thanks! Mine is 971. No idea what the ECU was expecting, but not that. I guess I do need to put an AFN pump on then...

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, I took a photo while I was outside:

GT2052V on an AFN using a transverse AHU exhaust manifold with a U-bend adapter :) Still has the AFN inlet and a hybrid EGR which I disconnected anyway :p

ewenmaclean

Veteran Member
TDI
T25 with 1.9 AHU
that looks impressive. As you've not got an EGR there, you could do with a PD130 inlet manifold + race pipe if you're pushing that much into the cylinder :) Ryan's probably got one.... this is what mine looks like in a t25 engine bay- bit of a mess there, but it'll get tidied up eventually :)

Last edited:

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Hmm I've been thinking about changing the manifold, but its rather tight in there with that turbo. Is the PD130 one any thicker than the others where it's next to the head?

ewenmaclean

Veteran Member
TDI
T25 with 1.9 AHU
yeah - it looks pretty tight with the actuator there... but then it is just the actuator and folks have successfully humoured them a bit... if I were a betting man I'd say it'd fit, but I'm not a betting man, which is why I could afford a PD130 manifold.

You could put the same manifold on, but a bit shorter without the EGR and stick an allard race pipe there.... I might even have one lying around ;-)

To be honest I don't that'd improve it much though. The PD130 manifold is good not just for airflow, but for even distribution to each cylinder...

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Actually its not the actuator that I'm concerned about - its the clearance to the plenum. The hotside of the turbo is only about 4-5mm away from the inlet, so if the PD130 one is any thicker it won't fit between the turbo and the head :eek: It could probably do with a turbo blanket in there to stop it heating the inlet up, but I've not got round to getting one yet...:rolleyes:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
The PD130 inlet manifold certainly fits...... here's my AFN Passat, with BV43 turbo, Forge FMIC, PD130 manifold and shortened Allard EGR delete pipe fitted, with PD130 intercooler return pipe.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Oh I'm not questioning whether it bolts on or not. My concern is whether it will fit between the head and my turbo, since mine is sitting high up right next to the inlet with very little clearance. If the PD130 is any thicker than the stock one then it won't go in the space.

Not a big problem tho, because I've got a smashed up ALH inlet to cut up so I can make something like the Passenger Performance one.

Is the stock manifold really that restrictive though?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Mikkijayne I agree with you, I doubt how much space you have. Now if you had a stock OEM turbo and turbo manifold then I'd say you would be safe but your custom setup might have interference.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Well that explains a lot thanks! Mine is 971. No idea what the ECU was expecting, but not that. I guess I do need to put an AFN pump on then...
Just picked up another AFN today and the pump on it is a 969 :confused: Still, the VAG number is correct so I'll swap it over and see what happens...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I'd love to get the cam plate out of your old injector pump if you decide its garbage

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Hmm, I wonder if this whole pump thing is just a case of swapping pump voltage maps from the car the pump came from and it will work right......

Or is there some kind of single value factor involved to....

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The AFN's cam plate is more aggressive than the AHU's. The AHU and AFN injector pumps have different part numbers.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Oh right. Its an AHU pump that I have on it at the moment, which I'm swapping for the AFN one I just acquired, so the AFN isn't going spare I'm afraid ;)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Hmm, I was just offered 10 new AFN pumps, maybe there is a market for them after all over here :-/
I'll be watching this thread :)
-BB

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Well, the 10 was 1 left when I asked about it; I just got it in. :)