Anyone running 100% bio-diesel?

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I used to produce my own bio fuel and ran it in my Ford 7.3's; but with work, and the availability of waste oil nowadays, and being lazy... I got rid of all my equipment. My '96 had issues with the fuel lines not being compatible and slowly I replaced all with newer compatible hoses, my '02 never had an issue.
Is the VW TDi system compatible? Although I only know of one place in the Phx metro area to purchase bio, I do like the idea of it, smells good too ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not for use on anything beyond 2006, unless B20 or less. It has been tested at B100 and you will have issues with it leaking down the cylinder walls and contaminating the oil due to late injections required for emissions. There is a thread here from long ago about this.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Not for use on anything beyond 2006, unless B20 or less. It has been tested at B100 and you will have issues with it leaking down the cylinder walls and contaminating the oil due to late injections required for emissions. There is a thread here from long ago about this.
Thanks! Good to know, I wonder why they wouldn't promote B100 more...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Because it won't work in the latest cars with the emissions requirements. In fact they tell you not to use it or anything over B5 (unless you live in one of the states that mandated B20). B100 worked fine in 2006 and earlier cars. My 2006 Jetta burned B100 that I made for it.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
100% bio diesel burns clean enough that it does not need emissions , problem is getting past the rule of removing emission equipment .
I do not remember dates , and fuel has change some , like ultra low sulphur diesel , it may have been just before ULSD , that using something like 50-70% brought emissions below what was allowed OUT THE TAILPIPE , without looking under the hood or looking for CAT .
Much like alcohol in gasoline , the main issue was / is rubber based fuel lines / seals .
With bio diesel , part of it is the processing weather it is water based process or methanol process - the methanol being the part that is hard on fuel lines , seals .

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Properly made, washed and dried bio has none of those issues you mention.

It has been mentioned here that it may not be compatible with the higher pressures, temps and tiny geometries used today. Not to mention the emissions system.

soylentgreen

TDI
NB TDI, 2002, Green
Chevron is selling "renewable diesel" at the pump in a few locations in San Diego: https://www.chevronwithtechron.com/renewable_diesel/

Anyone know what this actually is? It sounds like it's B99 from their description:

What is Chevron Renewable Diesel?

Chevron Renewable Diesel is a renewable fuel that can be used in conventional diesel engines as an alternative to petroleum diesel. It is primarily made from non-petroleum renewable sources such as vegetable oils, waste fats, and greases, with a maximum of 1% of its composition deriving from conventional diesel blends. Because Chevron Renewable Diesel meets the same ASTM D975 standard as petroleum diesel, it can be used interchangeably with petroleum diesel.