Anyone riding on Dunlop Direzza's?

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
I am considering replacing the stock Conti's with summer Dunlop Direzza z1 star specs. I know it might be overkill for a stock JSW but from what I have read they are amazing. Anyone have experience with these tires?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I can report back in a little over a week. I just had them installed on the rims, but waiting to put them on the car.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
3L3M3NT said:
I can report back in a little over a week. I just had them installed on the rims, but waiting to put them on the car.
That will be perfect. Let me know if you notice a difference from your all season tire. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay per tire?

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
3L3M3NT said:
P.S, I just read your list of mods, it looks like you built a tdi that will be capable of really testing the Direzza's. Great looking car.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I am of the opinion that if I didn't have the Direzza, had I spent the little extra for the Conti ExtremeContacts that I had previously, and was considering getting again, that I'd have been able to significantly reduce the severity of the accident that totaled my red B4V.
The Dunlops looked like the Conti, had similar tread to the Conti, were slightly less expensive than the Conti, but they sure as hell didn't have the straight line damp braking ability of the Conti.

I bought Contis for my replacement B4V GLX to TDI conversion. I have those same Conti ExCons on my A3 Cabrio. I have Contis on my B5.5V.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
daneg said:
That will be perfect. Let me know if you notice a difference from your all season tire. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay per tire?
Actually I'm running Winter tires right now, so I'm not sure how that will factor in, but I was running some Conti's that were pretty sticky, so I should have a pretty good reference point.
Paid $135 a tire

daneg said:
P.S, I just read your list of mods, it looks like you built a tdi that will be capable of really testing the Direzza's. Great looking car.
Yeah the car should really show how these tires will do with some extra hp thrown at them.

Thanks for the compliment.:)

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
3L3M3NT said:
Actually I'm running Winter tires right now, so I'm not sure how that will factor in, but I was running some Conti's that were pretty sticky, so I should have a pretty good reference point.
Paid $135 a tire

Yeah the car should really show how these tires will do with some extra hp thrown at them.

Thanks for the compliment.:)
So I just got back from talking to our local tire guru. I told him of my idea about Direzza's and he likes the tire and said it would handle well, but he said I would certainly never heat them up enough to really enjoy them. I kind of knew this.

Seeing what Lugnut wrote it really made me think. If his tires were hot they might have held better, but just driving around town getting groceries and stuff won't get them hot enough - especially here.

My tire guy actually said Direzza's are tires for 'Young Guys', a firmer and louder ride but awesome if you push them. He suggested a more 'mature' tire. He likes the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity as a high performance, quiet riding, longer lasting, better all around tire. He quoted $200 cdn each, mounted and balanced. These tires are made in Japan, which he says is an important factor. Many months ago he sold me the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 studded tires from Finland and they were awesome this winter.

What say anyone on Turanza Serenity's? Sure got good reviews on Tire Rack.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Lug_Nut said:
I am of the opinion that if I didn't have the Direzza, had I spent the little extra for the Conti ExtremeContacts that I had previously, and was considering getting again, that I'd have been able to significantly reduce the severity of the accident that totaled my red B4V.
The Dunlops looked like the Conti, had similar tread to the Conti, were slightly less expensive than the Conti, but they sure as hell didn't have the straight line damp braking ability of the Conti.

I bought Contis for my replacement B4V GLX to TDI conversion. I have those same Conti ExCons on my A3 Cabrio. I have Contis on my B5.5V.
Also Lugnut, sorry to hear about the accident and I hope nobody was hurt.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Ancient history, now. We all walked away, the other driver actually was able to drive away. The bruises have faded except for one small spot that I suspect will be with me for the remainder of my life.

Wgnths

TDI
'10 Golf TDI DSG
daneg said:
So I just got back from talking to our local tire guru. I told him of my idea about Direzza's and he likes the tire and said it would handle well, but he said I would certainly never heat them up enough to really enjoy them. I kind of knew this.

Seeing what Lugnut wrote it really made me think. If his tires were hot they might have held better, but just driving around town getting groceries and stuff won't get them hot enough - especially here.

My tire guy actually said Direzza's are tires for 'Young Guys', a firmer and louder ride but awesome if you push them. He suggested a more 'mature' tire. He likes the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity as a high performance, quiet riding, longer lasting, better all around tire. He quoted $200 cdn each, mounted and balanced. These tires are made in Japan, which he says is an important factor. Many months ago he sold me the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 studded tires from Finland and they were awesome this winter.

What say anyone on Turanza Serenity's? Sure got good reviews on Tire Rack.
A young guys tire?? That's funny...these are incredibly high performance summer tires. I've run them on my race car and they were amazing for a street tire. I know plenty of others running them at the track, and loving them.

It's true that they work better with some heat, they are a little louder than others. If you don't need an all out, fast, high performing street tire, there probably are better choices for you.

With that said, i put them on my TDI after 4k miles and love them. Though i take it to the track on occasion.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
Wgnths said:
A young guys tire?? That's funny...these are incredibly high performance summer tires. I've run them on my race car and they were amazing for a street tire. I know plenty of others running them at the track, and loving them.

It's true that they work better with some heat, they are a little louder than others. If you don't need an all out, fast, high performing street tire, there probably are better choices for you.

With that said, i put them on my TDI after 4k miles and love them. Though i take it to the track on occasion.
Good information, thanks. My tire guy and I were just shooting the ****. I would love to be able to hit a track, that would be awesome, but probably not going to happen for me. My interest in the Direzza's is that I always want the best, and in their category many say they are the best.

I always strive for the best, but have to be practical sometimes to :rolleyes:. What a drag! My mods for my JSW will probably always be geared towards making my car stronger, striving for longevity, not necessarily to make it faster. Direzza's are built for speed.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'm on the fence, i'm prob going to get a set of star spec for my autox rabbit, and run them for the summer

for my jetta i'll probably get the hankook v12 evos

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
REDNECKDZL said:
I'm on the fence, i'm prob going to get a set of star spec for my autox rabbit, and run them for the summer

for my jetta i'll probably get the hankook v12 evos
I've heard good things about the Evos as well. I think I am now leaning towards the high end touring tire.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so the tires went on today and all I gotta say is WOW:eek: These things really stick. I'm blown away needless to say on how well these things corner and grip when accelerating.

I give them 2 thumbs up.:D

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you find them for road noise?

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
No kidding? They are that good hey? What the hell, maybe I will go with them. How about the road noise like the poster above asked?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
daneg said:
No kidding? They are that good hey? What the hell, maybe I will go with them. How about the road noise like the poster above asked?
No noticeable road noise. Had the windows down and didn't hear any howl or anything like that. With the windows up everything is pretty much normal, if not quieter than the winter tires.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
dang it, that makes it so tempting

i was not going to get them based on noise, but if they are quiet enough i might just opt for them

especially with the Canadian dollar where it's at

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
IMO for the price you can't go wrong I'm not sure what they are in Canada, but for $135 a tire in the US is great for this high of a performance tire.

If you need a second opinion, I'm sure the guys showing up at the Dyno day will be able to second my opinion of the tires, if you can wait 5 days.

But so far I've been nothing but ecstatic for how well these tires perform.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
daneg said:
Until they get near half tread, then you'll hate yourself....If you have a high aggregate roads, I'll assume you do, they are incredibly loud.

daneg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta JSW
jasonTDI said:
Until they get near half tread, then you'll hate yourself....If you have a high aggregate roads, I'll assume you do, they are incredibly loud.
What is that I hear? Yes, it is coming through loud and clear, it's the voice of reason :cool:

Of course our roads would chew up a soft tire. Chip seal on permafrost is not your friend. Already had three puncture repairs on the Conti Pro crap tires with 25 thousand km on them.

Back to the Grand Touring tire. Sigh. Thanks Jason.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I toyed with getting Star Specs for my RX II's, but saner thoughts prevailed (a $90/4 deal on 15's didn't hurt either).

However, we do have them on one of our MINI's and I have to add they are pretty amazing. I will also add they can be a bit sketchy if it's chilly outside until you get a bit of heat in them. Not a concern for the MINI (a 4th, 3-season car for us), but could be if daily driven.

For pure performance driving (canyon carving & auto-x), the Kumho XS seems to be popular as well.

Yellowknife... I'm guessing Ice Road Truckers was a mixed blessing for you folks? ;)

Lug_Nut

TDI
Dunlop Direzza DZ101, 205-50-15: 20 lb, 7.2 in tread, 86 load rating @ 51 psi, $135/tire?!?!
Continental ExtremeContact, 205-55-15: 19 lb, 7.7 in tread, 87 load rating @ 44 psi, $100/tire.
I got my Conti ExCon for closer to $80 each. Yes, that includes mount and balance.

So the Contis are the same diameter (don't let the 50 / 55 series class difference fool you, side-by-side they are the same height), lighter weight, higher load rated, and at a lower pressure requirement, have a wider tread contact patch, are "M&S" rated, and $50 less???

Last edited:

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Umm... thank you for the Fox News reporting... the DZ101 is a totally different tire. :confused:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Close enough for me.
My Contis, several different models, have never let me down.
My Dunlops, several models over the years, have left me disappointed.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion... but to post a picture of a wrecked car with the insinuation the tires were to blame and without any background information is a bit... Vortex-ish...

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't see any evidence tires would have been the factor in that accident (nor do you mention anything of the sort in that thread), but if that is how you feel, so be it.

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 C55 AMG 2003 V6 24V BDF
I've neverbeen found of Dunlops Japanese market tires.....have you ever consider the Sp Sport Maxx?....I had two sets which these also replaced my Dunlop SP9000 and SP8000 which all three tires are made in Germany and are very comfortable and quiet equal to the Michelin Pilot Sport