Anyone put a receiver hitch on a B5?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
there are several B5.5 TDI specific threads in this forum about that. Try using the search function when it is back on.

IN the meantime, the short answer is, if you are OK with removing the 5 mph bumper foam and spending a fair load of cash you can order the bosal detachable swan nexk hitch from the UK, no drilling required and has a very good tow rating.

All other options require drilling. Da'Lan requires the most drilling, but in my opinion is the hitch I would get if I couldn't get the bosal.

www.hitch-web.com

DetSette

TDI
04 Passat TDI, Silverstone
Any idea on a web site or other place to purchase the bosal hitch? I've been looking for a european hitch for my '04 tdi passat. So far I haven't found a place to purchase one. Also, you said it would require parting with a bunch of cash. Any ideas on how much?

Thanks!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Hey,
My new 2005 Passat just came in and I will be installing a hitch. Maybe we can order or install them at the same time?
I like the Bosal, but it is expensive and may get me in a bind if the car were involved in an accident and the insurance company found out I removed the rear 5 mph bumper.

At this point in time I am leaning towards the Da'Lan, which my dealer in Moline, IL can get me for $181.00.
It does require removal of the rear bumper cover and drilling several holes. The Draw tite hitch is $131.00.

Let me know if you need part numbers or if you have an interest in doing this together at some point. I also plan to install the underbelly skid plate from diesel geek in order to protect my lower engine/oil pan.

I plan on attending the monthly GTG at the Brat Stop in Kenosha last Thursday of the month. The Lake Mills GTG is also October 2, which would be a great time for an install.

Thanks
Deming

2004_Passat

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Thanks for all those links on Club B5--very helpful. I'll probably go with the Da'Lan because I want to stick a bike rack in there as well as tow a light trailer occasionally.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
I have a Da'Lan hitch on my car. It installs pretty easily. You have to remove the inside trunk liner and plastic but you do not have to remove the bumper cover. Works good and I use it for bicycles all the time. I've towed a couple trailers as well, my 1.8T does fine, so I'm sure the TDI will do great.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
For those who have put a hitch on, did you have to use any spacers or did the hitch just bolt on evenly? I was abou to have one installed and they mention needing some spacers? I declined on the hitch and install. The hitch on my A4 fit perfect.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Can you guys post a pic of the hitch attachment area? I believe I may have a different spare tire well set up than what is pictured over at the B5 site. Here is my back end:

Here is the back end of the Passat at the B5 site:

So what does those with the B5 TDI spare tire well look like and what hitch did you guys use? The guy at U-Haul says the hitch for 4-Motion is the one that will fit my car?

Something funny is going on? I can smell it!

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
I just got back from the stealership to look at the backend of the different passats. The 1.8t and VR6 seem to have same wheel well storage area. The W8, TDI, and 4-motion all have different wheel well storage area. So anyone with a B5 TDI have a hitch installed? If so which model fit properly? Thanks! GD

smid87

TDI
04 Passat GLS TDI
Not that it matters this late in the convo, but I put a Curtis on because I only wanted to haul 2k lbs and some bikes on a rack. Now I want to pull a 16' fiberglass boat and I am not sure how much it weighs.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The plastic cover you are seeing on the 1.8t and V6 FWD cars is to cover the charcoal canister. The TDI does not have this, hence the solid metal at the wheel well.

The hitch for the 1.8t and V6 FWD cars will fit the TDI.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Better buy a spare GMR tranny too or better still, a truck with a tow package.