Anyone install a ham or commercial communications transceiver in an A5?

AD5GB

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (Pkg 1)
Ok.... I've searched all over, found a few non-TDI CB related postings but nothing pertaining to the A5. If I've missed another post, sorry.....

Anyway, I need to mount an amateur radio transceiver somehow in the '06 Jetta and can't bring myself to go drilling holes or carving out compartments in the dash. Wondering if anyone has installed any type of ham or commercial commo gear in an A5 and if so, how? I'm not opposed to one of the newer radios with control head separation capabilities but still.... safely mounting these things so they're visible seems to be a challenge. I was comtemplating the PDA/Cell Phone bracket that goes by the radio but am not sure if a passenger side air bag deployment would turn the control head into a projectile within the cabin.

Further, I'm wondering if anyone's experienced problems/interference to any of the on-board electonics due to exposure of moderate RF energy fields.... such as when transmitting on such a radio.

Thanks in advance to all!

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
From Bentley CD:
Volkswagen > new Jetta > 2005 - 2006
Communication
91 - Mobile Telephone and Two-Way Radio Operation
Transmitted output and antenna installation locations
Jetta from 2006
DescriptionPmax/WattPrescribed antenna installation locations
Shortwave 54 MHZ 100 (PEAK)

Front center of roof Center of roof Rear

center of roof Center of rear lid Rear
bumper
4 m-Band 20 (eff.)

all locations on vehicle exterior

2 m-Band 20 (eff.) Front fender Front center of roof
2 m-Band 50 (eff.) Center of roof Rear center of roof Center
of rear lid
70 cm 50 (eff.) Front center of roof Center of roof Rear
center of roof Center of rear lid
23 cm 20 (eff.) all locations on vehicle exterior

Last edited:

AD5GB

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (Pkg 1)
Thanks! Where did you find this information? My hardcopy of the Bentley manual arrived yesterday. I looked through it tonight but couldn't find any mention of communications gear.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Dual-band Ham radio in A5

I haven't seen one installed in a TDI or A5 yet.. BUT.

Try a IC-208H mounted under passenger seat, suspended from the seat
itself. Head unit remoted to the ashtray area. Mic stored in the center
console storage area.
Comet SBB-5 dual-band ant on the left side of the rear deck lid.
Power taken from the #75??? power out stud near the fuse block
left of the steering wheel.

That is about all the info I have! Sorry I can't help more.
Pm me if you have Questions, I will try to help.

Bill

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
You are welcome! Found it in Volkswagen
Jetta 2005-2006
Repair Manual on CD-ROM

Will try to save it as pdf and post as a pic later today.....

TDI73

hamTDIguy

TDI
JETTA, 2005.5, White
icom 208H in the trunk

AD5GB,

I installed a Icom 208H in my A5. Mounted the radio in the trunk, drilled 4 holes for the mouting bracket. I have the remote mounted with velcro just below the center A/C vents. Remote speaker is in the back window area. Ran the remote, speaker wire and mic wire on the left side of the car. No problems. I'm running with a remote 12 volt yellow top optima in the trunk - secured, for power. Have a 1/4 wave coiled larsen mag mounted dual band 2m/70cm attenna on the trunk.

Runs fine - the Low/Mid or just mid power range settings do fine for repeater work or most simplex QSO's. Once in a while I have to go to high power, but that's rare.

No special grounding performed. That'll change when I put in a 706 or the new v7000 for mobile HF. I have not noticed any RF interference to the car or the radio from the car.

tekdummie

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I too have looked for solutions on the radio mount, head placement etc. I have purchased the IC-208H as well, but have not mounted it yet. My thoughts were to put the radio unit under the seat, and the head unit somewhere in the center of the dash. I have purchased the Diamond trunk mount and a dual band Diamond antenna. I hooked the radio up to my base and programmed it and thats as far as I've gotten so far. Too many projects, and long days ie: my 120 mile round trip commute.
If any of you guys have pics on the A5 mount they should be posted (please) for the rest of us to get ideas-motivated.:D