Anyone Buying a 2016 Golf TDI?

El_Camino

TDI
None Yet
I have seen bits a pieces of people asking about the dealer order list and such. I went to my local dealer (MAG Volkswagen Columbus Ohio) this past Saturday and this is what went down.

There is still nothing official on the 2016 order list. Its not in their computer system yet. The sales rep printed me out the 2015 and said the three big changes are the radio with Apple Car Play and Android Auto and some changes to the driver assistance package and all the models will be getting the keyless, remote start, pushbutton start system. That was from the 2016 change points the rep was able to look up on the computer system.

He then did a search for the car I wanted. SE Trim, Red exterior, Black interior, 6MT, Lighting Package. One was at Port in Texas and also had the monster mats and roadside kit. He put a request in to bring it to the dealer and said that he should have word early this week if they will be assigned the car.

Oddly the car still had a price of $0 listed although another car that came up had some price around 27k. I didn't catch it long enough to see all the options it had or if it was a 2015. I am not sure the price is going to change much from 2015. I talked with the manager and he was eager to make a deal with me if I was committed to it. I might stand to save some money out of the gate and have my car as early as possible.

Other than that he went and showed me the new radio which was in a Tiguan. The new radio is slick and not much different from using a phone. Decently snappy when moving through the menu system and its well thought out from my initial impression.

I'd like to hear other peoples stories of trying to secure a 2016.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
You might find some of the links in this thread of interest, order guide also. Lots of info. over on vortex also (if you have not settled on purchase price also look up info. there re partner purchase program, may get you purchase @ &500 under invoice or better). Personally, until I see what the cloth looks/feels like in the S we won't be making a decision on whether or not our next car might be another TDI.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=442260&page=2

Last edited:

El_Camino

TDI
None Yet
Thanks for the info. I did some searching after posting and found the order guide.

I looked at the partner website but would have no idea how to look up what companies are involved. I can't think of anyone I know in my family that ever mentioned it nor do I know anyone that works for VW. Maybe I should start looking for a new friend, ha.

I wish I could get cloth and sunroof but for me I can live with leather seats to have the sunroof.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
ordered one a couple weeks ago due to DAP being "sold" orders only. good luck!

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Thanks for the info. I did some searching after posting and found the order guide.

I looked at the partner website but would have no idea how to look up what companies are involved. I can't think of anyone I know in my family that ever mentioned it nor do I know anyone that works for VW. Maybe I should start looking for a new friend, ha.

I wish I could get cloth and sunroof but for me I can live with leather seats to have the sunroof.
This link lists all (or most??) partners. I found it in this thread on vortex. As you will see, even if you are not employed by a partner, posters in that thread are able to access the program via SCCA membership (some appear to be even cheating that) or join ($65 / $50 w/referral). Last time I shopped a VW (for a friend) it was bought for $1800 under invoice after dealer & VWoA discounts/cash so don't accept that $500 under invoice is the best deal you can get.

Annoying that the S does not allow DA & L packages to be added.

If I could configure the way I wanted it (Wagen) would be an SEL w/o sunroof, w/heated seat "premium" cloth interior + DAP + LP + something they don't offer - powered hatch. I saw a nice aftermarkit retrofit kit for the Jetta wagen so I suppose one may come along for the Mk. VII.

Have a BIL who just got his 328d x-drive wagon back from the shop. They did what looks like a beautiful job fitting a cloth interior, unfortunately I probably won't get to see it in person until over the winter holidays.

Last edited:

El_Camino

TDI
None Yet
Sort of update. I have been calling every so often to see how its going and stopped by the dealer.

They could not secure a car at port from last month. They have been checking and the regional rep knows about it. While I was down there the sales rep requested another car and sent an email to the regional rep about others also at port that match my criteria and to try and get one.

MAG doesn't have Red assigned to their preferences so they won't get red cars automatically assigned to them and have to seek them out. It also seems like VW breaks up shipments by region so I am kind of at the mercy of what is available to the mid west and what other dealers are willing to give up.

If anything I am learning how VW and the dealers work.