Any IA or NE TDI's out there ?

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Any IA or NE TDI\'s out there ?

I was out in South West IA and Omaha this past week on business and never saw a single TDI (and only a hand full of VW's total)! You would think with all that vast open space where you have to travel a lengthy distance to get anywhere, you would see a more fuel efficient vehicle. I don't think I have ever seen an IA or NE origin post either. They can't all be driving F350's and Sierra's, can they?

upsguy

TDI
Re: Any IA or NE TDI\'s out there ?

I live 45 miles West of Des Moines,I have 99.5 tdi jetta,my dad as 98 tdi jetta and 14 diesel rabbits numerous vw diesel pickups and couple older turbo jettas,neighbor guy as numerous VW and mid-seventy mercedes diesels and a 03 tdi jetta.So we're out here

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

There is a small group of TDI owners in and around Iowa City (eastern Iowa). The sister of my HS buddy lives in Grinnell and commutes daily to West Des Moines. I think there are a few others around Ames and Des Moines. And there have been postings from folks in or near Omaha, but not recently.

The problem with owning a VW TDI in the wide-open spaces of the West is that dealerships are few and far between. And then so many dealerships are ill-equipped to deal with TDI problems.

If there were more TDIs, then an infrastructure of shops and parts centers would grow up to service them. But there are no shops because there are no TDIs. So you find groups of TDI owners around Denver, or in northern Utah and southern Idaho.

But in many parts of the West, individual TDI owners are pretty much on their own. I assume this is true for many owners in the Prairie Provinces, once you get more than about 50-75 miles from the cities.

This is something VW could do something about... if they could have guys like Harvieux to sell and service TDIs in all those medium-size towns like Grand Island and North Platte and Fort Collins and Laramie and Grand Junction and 50 others.

There are already good mechanics in many of those towns. They just need some intensive training, which would be tricky since they can't take the time away from their businesses.

dld

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon, Blue Graphite, Anthracite leather, sunroof and 99 New Beetle, Purple

Brandon, pop 50,000, has a big diesel ownership level, probably because Jim & Jeff Brown at European Auto are TDI enthusiasts. Lots of wide open spaces here too!

Doug