Anti Theft Fuse Battery Drain?

ZS0102

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Good morning all,
Having a bit of an electrical issue and hope someone has had something similar and knows of a fix.
For months my battery would drain overnight. As a temp fix I've been disconnecting the negative terminal cable, but have grown tired of this so today is diagnosis day.
I've followed the technical bulletin VW put out on battery drain issues, and believe I've narrowed it down to the anti-theft fuse located in the interior relay panel. In sleep mode, the measure voltage in this fuse is 1.4-1.8 mV and based on the current consumption matrix, it seems like a 317-407 milliamp draw.
To clarify, this is the 15A rated fuse located right above (and centered) between position 5 & 6 on the relay panel. (there is another fuse identical to this one, located to the left of it which has 0 milliamp draw while in sleep)
I'm assuming this is abnormal milliamp draw for this fuse when in sleep mode but could be mistaken?
Has anyone come across this before or has an idea on a potential fix?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Sounds like you have something keeping it from going into sleep mode. First thing I would suggest is a VCDS scan and see if there are switches showing failed in the alarm system.
My bug won't go into the sleep mode, as the hood switch doesn't make. My problem is that the frame that holds the radiator is damaged and the hood will not fully latch.
Also, assuming a good battery, a 400 mA draw overnight should not kill it. I would also do both a voltage check and a load check on the alternator. It's possible that you have a diode out on it or a winding that is failed. A bad diode can cause an overnight drain on the battery. I've had that happen before.

ZS0102

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sounds like you have something keeping it from going into sleep mode. First thing I would suggest is a VCDS scan and see if there are switches showing failed in the alarm system.
My bug won't go into the sleep mode, as the hood switch doesn't make. My problem is that the frame that holds the radiator is damaged and the hood will not fully latch.
Also, assuming a good battery, a 400 mA draw overnight should not kill it. I would also do both a voltage check and a load check on the alternator. It's possible that you have a diode out on it or a winding that is failed. A bad diode can cause an overnight drain on the battery. I've had that happen before.
Thanks! I'll try and find someone that can run a VCDS scan for me.
Appreciate the advice.

ZS0102

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Anyone have/willing to assist with a VCDS scan? I've tried messaging a bunch of members to no avail.
I'm in Hamilton, ON, but at this point will to drive as far as necessary to try and diagnose this battery drain nightmare.

Xenodraken

TDI
'05 Jetta GLS TDI
Must be the time of year because ive run into a battery drain issue as well. I drive a truck for a living so my car can sit for a week or more at times. SO i understand if the battery gets a lil lazy over time.. Was dead when i headed home on friday. but its 2 hours to my house and mostly highway so it got a good charging run. yesterday it started with no probs. this morning when i was needing my tim hortons.. Near dead. enough that it almost started but didnt. Almost feels random. Got a canadian tire battery in it so ill just run it in to the local store to be tested.

I DO however, have a KeyII-USB VCDS and should be in Aberfoyle (south Guelph) Sunday afternoon. Ill know better after tonight when im going to be there and can scan your car. The laptop i use for the VCDS is in my truck so ill have to go there, otherwise could have stopped in near you to do it.

im kinda noob with the VCDS really so if any other members could post the areas to check more specifically, that would be great

ZS0102

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I DO however, have a KeyII-USB VCDS and should be in Aberfoyle (south Guelph) Sunday afternoon. Ill know better after tonight when im going to be there and can scan your car. The laptop i use for the VCDS is in my truck so ill have to go there, otherwise could have stopped in near you to do it.

im kinda noob with the VCDS really so if any other members could post the areas to check more specifically, that would be great

That would be great. Let me know... I'll PM you my contact details.

ZS0102

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
After a ton of messages to various members, I've had no luck getting a VCDS scan... If anyone has any insight on battery drain issues, I would greatly appreciate it. UPDATE on the issue, my aftermarket deck started cutting in and out while driving, usually over bumps.
Main issue is battery drains overnight to the point where the car won't turn over. Parasitic draw test indicates a 40 milliamp draw.
Any help would be great...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Can't drive Edmonton -> Hamilton to give you a VCDS scan :(:) but I can tell you that a 40 mA drain is nothing to worry about and very probably NOT what's draining your battery overnight.

Or did you mean 400 mA?

lucforce

TDI
BEW
I was chasing similar issues, and had similar work-arounds to keep the battery up overnight.

The ultimate cure for mine was...a new battery. The battery could be charged, and would test "good." However, it was losing voltage over time. The voltage drop while connected to the car does strange things to the cars electronics...things don't turn off or will turn themselves on.

I put in a new, charged battery, removed all of my "workarounds" and have never had another issue almost a year later.