Antenna base alternatives

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I have the stock radio in my vehicle and the antenna base appears to be going again. As this is the second replacement antenna base I have put on this car since purchasing it used five years ago I am wondering if there is an alternative amplified antenna available that will last longer than the stock unit. As I listen to both AM and FM radio I would need one that is functionally identical with the stock unit.

If a good alternative exists where can I purchase it for the best price?

If there is no alternative to the stock antenna base is there any way to improve the longevity of the amplifier?

The stock unit is part number 1J0 035 505E in case you need it for comparison.

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
Dave_D said:
I have the stock radio in my vehicle and the antenna base appears to be going again. As this is the second replacement antenna base I have put on this car since purchasing it used five years ago I am wondering if there is an alternative amplified antenna available that will last longer than the stock unit. As I listen to both AM and FM radio I would need one that is functionally identical with the stock unit.

If a good alternative exists where can I purchase it for the best price?

If there is no alternative to the stock antenna base is there any way to improve the longevity of the amplifier?

The stock unit is part number 1J0 035 505E in case you need it for comparison.
Good question...I would love to know as well! I am using XM for now but would like my free local radio back.

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Have seen them on ebay for around $35 including shipping, but am not sure as to the quality. I had mine changed by the dealer when I bought the car used a little over a month ago. they were not real keen on doing it so I was looking for alternatives until I did manage to get them to do it.

GV

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
Forgot to mention that my buddy who is a little bit of a radio guru figures that the amp may not really be required and that it may be possible to bypass it. Will probably find out when this one blows.

GV