Another Key Question

Coasty

TDI
2002 Golf Manual 265k miles
Ok, so I bought two blanks off ebay, had them cut at a local shop for way too much money, but what are you going to do when no one else will do it. I've got my SKC, so I went with the VAG-COM proceedure from ROSS-TECH for programming the keys. Well, as it turned out I misunderstood the directions. When it said to turn they key "on" I thought it meant I had to start the car. And, I did this twice. Now what i'm left with is one key working, and two keys not recognized by the immobilizer. Also, my immobilizer light is flashing even though my one key works fine. I've heard that doing a capacitance discharge will reset that light. My question is this: have I ruined the transponder chips on these two keys? Or when I do the capacitance discharge to reset the light, can I attempt to program them again? I already tried to program again with the blinking light, but it didn't work. Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. I wish I had just gone to www.sidewinderkeys.com instead of trying to do this myself, can't beat their price.

Coasty

TDI
Believe me, i've searched and searched. I'm not saying the answers are not already on this board, I just haven't been able to find them. Could you please post a link to the thread?

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
You likely have not done irreparable harm to the keys. Just repeat the procedure (but without actually starting the car, this time...). Should be fine.

--Chris

Coasty

TDI
Thanks all. As it turns out the keys were not ruined, I repeated the procedure and the keys all work, and the blinking immobilizer light is out. :)