Another dead battery

piper109

Veteran Member
Last Friday the battery in my 2012 JSW died. Temps went down to -7 F which is pretty rare where we live (NC). Earlier in the week the car had started instantly in temps in the low teens. Friday however, when I got in the car, no lights came on, nothing when the key was inserted, no sound, no lights, no time on the radio. NADA. I checked the battery voltage, It showed about 4 volts.
I put the charger on it and checked again about an hour later. The Schumacher 10a charger kept kicking off and the voltage stayed around 4 volts. I decided the battery was dead from some fault or other and could not handle the -7 F degree temps. Car is manual with ~46k miles, just under 3 years old. Went to NAPA Saturday and bought a 7548 Legend group 48 and installed it. Car has been fine eversince but temps came up to high 40's Sunday.
I was a bit surprised that the OEM battery (Enertec made in Mexico) would be so absolutely dead, less than 3 years old. Is this a common problem with JSWs built in Mexico ??

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Modern batteries work until one day they just don't generate enough juice to start a diesel. This has happened to me twice. Started fine in the morning; eight hours later nothing.

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
The weather guy on NECN (cable news) even mentioned this morning that today may be the day your car won't start. Lots of record lows in MA, NH, and VT.