Another CJAA with a bad turbo?

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
yesterday driving to work my cruise control cut off and the glow plug light started flashing. This time i did not have a misfire, just no power. i was able to get to work and then limp the car 60 miles some back to my house. ive got 7 codes set in the ECU, the EGR flow and particulate trap were already there for the last month or so. If you shut the car down and restart it you get power back but it hiccups and then the light comes on. I guess thats it trying to protect itself.

P0401
P2002
P2015 Intake flap position sensor Implausible signal
P0299 Boost pressure regulation, control range not reached
P026A Charge air cooler Efficiency below threshold.

I found a TSB document on various items to check in vac lines, boost lines, and ultimately the turbo to see if there is leaks or failed turbo. going to start with that today. Any help or suggestions is apricated, i will be doing all the work myself.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well you already needed a DPF and the low pressure EGR filter tube, sounds like you may have also tooefed the turbo, but you could also just have a charge air leak somewhere. I'd look for that first.

You also need a new intake manifold, or try the DG repair bracket.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
Yep already have the egr tube ready to go. I started taking hoses off and black sludge came out. Very little. I need to get a smoke machine and do some boost leak tests. The car was in a few collisions, i wonder if my intercooler is cracked.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
So, there has been a discovery. I found that the drive side of my intercooler might be cracked. I was able to get the car to drive under boost and you can hear a large boost leak before the PCM goes into limp mode. The car sat with the cold side pipe disconnected for the last week, which deposited some water and oil on the ground. I took the car for a little drive like this and was revving the engine and looking around under the hood. I moved the intake cover out of the way while listening around and could hear air sucking noises on the driver side front. I removed the bumper and driver headlight and can see moisture on the upper part of the IC. It looks like the drivers lower of the radiator support is also damaged. This car had been in a frontal collision.

The question is now, do i need to remove the entire radiator support section and drain the coolant to replace the intercooler? I cant find any info online other than people arguing about different intercoolers that may or may not provide more performance.

oilhammer

TDI
You need to get a new lock carrier (the part you are calling a support). A new intercooler (I'd get the cold weather kit one, if you can find it. May as well... there is a TSB about this, dealer can look it up, if you need to spoon feed them part numbers let me know).

The way it is assembled is:

The radiator fan assy. attaches to the radiator, and the radiator attaches to the back side of the intercooler. The condenser attaches to the front side of the intercooler. Then, that whole assembly fits into the lock carrier. The lock carrier also has the hood latch, headlamps, crash sensors, and som air ducts also attached to it.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
Lock carrier, new name, never heard of it and i did auto body lol. I have seen the troubles of the cold weather kit one. Would an aftermarket unit be ok? When the turbo eventually goes, i plan to possibly upgrade. if i have the part numbers, can i buy on my own? My car was a rebuilt title so zero warranties tsbs etc will be applied, i have to pay.

OK so the fans come off first, can this all be done with it in the car? i removed the headlights, the two upper brackets that support it and the 4 side bolts. If i can remove the IC without draining my radiator that would be great, if i have to then so be it.

oilhammer

TDI

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
Well, ECS says that they have it so I guess Ill be getting one once i tear the old one out and confirm the damage. Ill need a new lock carrier which ill have to source thru a body shop probably.