Amoco Premier

GladesTDI

A new Amoco station opened in my town, and they offered Amoco Premier.

Last sunday filled up with Premier--200 mile trip noticed nothing unusual, never smoke perhaps a puff during sartup, and that just a 1 second puff.

Wednesday morning I go to the same staion to fill gasoline (other vehicle), and the Diesel pumps were locked with tags from the Florida Department of Agriculture!! The labels stated that the "Diesel" was illegal. I ask the attendant what happed. I got a "we ran out of it" response. Yeah right.
I felt so confident after hearing that!!

I call the Department of Agriculture fuel and scales regulations. They informed me that that particular station had it's Diesel pumps locked down because the diesel had a "low flashpoint". He explained, but said that average disel has a 120+ flashpoint and that the diesel sampled at the Amoco was measured at 108 on Monday morning. He said that this attributed to the diesel being contaminated with gasoline. Ahhhhh okay. He told me that running on that low flash point could be detrimental if done for several tankfuls, but that one tank wasn't going to do damage.

Anyway I asked him if they test for cetane , he said no.
Basically they test for flashpoint, dyed diesel, and make sure that the pumps dispense accurately.
Well, I don't think my car was damaged-hopefully.

In any event makes me think about buying diesel from that Amoco again. I immediately went down to another Amoco that sells disel but with a ton of traffic. I suspect that this other Amoco sells a good grade because the car never somkes when I run it.

Anyway, is there a way to verify with Amoco if a particular station is selling Premier?? I mean it's one thing to have the pumps labled Premier, and another just to have regular #2

Thanks for letting me vent,

dave

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Premier is pretty easy to spot.

#1- after you use it a while (to clean out all the rotgut that was in there before), the clear plastic fuel line under the hood will be water clear - no 'greenish' tint to the fuel at all.

#2- when you fill up, as the tank gets full, the foam in the filler neck will be clear, like Sprite or 7-Up suds.

#3- it doesn't have that rank, dying road kill, nasty gear oil stench like most cheap diesel when it gets on your hands.

My Jetta starts absolutely immediately and without smoke with this stuff, even down near freezing (which it is here in Wisc. this morning!!!) Premier just rocks. The engine revs like a gasser and is smooth and quiet.

Chris

Dean_S

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 535d x-drive
The Premier is very different. My wife now works in KC KS and we can tank with Premier for the first time. The engine is producing much more power! I find it hard to believe how much of a differece there is.

S

SkyPup

We've been using Premier exclusively and it is absolutley the best if you cannot get ahold of B-100.

Gasoline is the most common adulterant of diesel fuel aqnd results in the most illegal fines and confiscation of diesel fuel tanks in Florida and elsewhere throughout the nation.

Premier has to be shipped via cleaned tanker trucks or special barges as it is too high quality to be transported via pipeline.

GladesTDI

S-Pup and everyone that replied...I have this gut feeling though that this station in particular is using something other than Premier... even though the 4 pumps are labled as such.

What should I do?

Thanks,

dave

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Go to the BP web site, and email them through the "contact us" page. Select the "Products & services - service stations and stores", subcategory "US BP or Amoco service stations or fuel".

Within a business day (or two), you'll get a response.

WASHMO

TDI
None any more.
Of the 2.5 years that I've had my Golf, I've been using Amoco Premier exclusively for the last 2.2 years and yet my clear fuel tube under the hood is green. The car runs great and I'd hate to think the owner of the station, who attends my church, could be cheating his loyal customers. Just last month, as I was fueling up, the owner stopped his pickup truck and started to tell me that I ought to try the Premier until he noticed that I was already pumping in the stuff.
Am I too gullable?
Off topic: In a few weeks I'll post some pictures of a bridge I bought up in the north-east.

S

SkyPup

Use your eyes and your ears!

Loud clatter at idel and under load from under the hood with all the OEM sound adsorption in place, black smoke = garbage truck diesel fuel

Quiet as a mouse all the time with all sound adsorption removed, no smoke = Premier!

boyelectric

Veteran Member
Nice, short, speedy reply to my e-mail:
---------------------------------------------

"BP does not market in the state of Washington at this time."

---------------------------------------------

Hmmmm... I had thought they owned 76.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
BP = ARCO

Chevron = Texaco

Exxon = Mobil

Conoco is merging with Phillips Petroleum

and Phillips Petroleum owns Union 76, Circle K and operates around 700 Exxon and Mobil retail stations because they had taken over TOSCO. Oh My!

The world of who owns what and controls the distribution of petroleum products is ever changing and very difficult to keep up with.

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Originally posted by GladesTDI:
I have this gut feeling though that this station in particular is using something other than Premier... even though the 4 pumps are labled as such.

What should I do?

Thanks,

dave
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I received total indifference from Amoco when I pointed out in a letter that several of their Chicago-area stations had pumps labeled Premier which were clearly not dispensing that product.

One year later, nothing has changed, except for the one station that was demolished for a new BP facility. At least that one now says No. 2 Diesel.

If they were labeling Regular 87 octane as Amoco Gold, whether deliberately or because of outdated signage, they'd probably have a heap of consumer and legal trouble on their hands.

Anthony

Bob Novak

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Chris B:
Premier is pretty easy to spot.

#1- after you use it a while (to clean out all the rotgut that was in there before), the clear plastic fuel line under the hood will be water clear - no 'greenish' tint to the fuel at all.

#2- when you fill up, as the tank gets full, the foam in the filler neck will be clear, like Sprite or 7-Up suds.

#3- it doesn't have that rank, dying road kill, nasty gear oil stench like most cheap diesel when it gets on your hands.

My Jetta starts absolutely immediately and without smoke with this stuff, even down near freezing (which it is here in Wisc. this morning!!!) Premier just rocks. The engine revs like a gasser and is smooth and quiet.

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chris,

You are right on. I took a small contianer home, "perfectly clear liquid". I then got a small contianer from the local truck stop, looks like cheap whiskey!

My car has never emmited any smoke with the premier even at wot.
Do you get your fuel on hampton ave and 45? or futher up north?
have never seen another TDI there?

Cheers

Bob

2000 jetta gls leather all options
up chip
cvc mod
descreened
delvac 1 every 5k
2.0 maf
amoco priemer
Rio riot mp3 player and monsoon, 300 albums

boyelectric

Veteran Member
I e-mailed them... just for kicks. I think I have already been told by the fine folks here that it is unavailable in my area (Puget Sound Region), but I figured that it might help them to know the interest is there.

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Hi, Bob. I've never used that Hampton station, but another TDI'er in the area does and says it is the good stuff. I can't verify that, as I've not tried it personally. I use one of two stations up a bit further north. One is at Hwy. 41 and 60 in Slinger, the other is at Hwy. 41 and 33 in Allenton. The Slinger station is just west of 41 on 60, the station in Allenton is about a mile west on 33. Both pump the real stuff for sure.

After I burned up the tank of rotgut the dealer gave me, the first tank of Premier I thought someone stole my engine and put in a gasser. That is how much difference there is, and all the cetane boost in the world didn't help the rotgut stuff run as smooth as the Premier.

Chris

Originally posted by Bob Novak:
[QBChris,

You are right on. I took a small contianer home, "perfectly clear liquid". I then got a small contianer from the local truck stop, looks like cheap whiskey!

My car has never emmited any smoke with the premier even at wot.
Do you get your fuel on hampton ave and 45? or futher up north?
have never seen another TDI there?

Cheers

Bob

2000 jetta gls leather all options
up chip
cvc mod
descreened
delvac 1 every 5k
2.0 maf
amoco priemer
Rio riot mp3 player and monsoon, 300 albums[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

S

SkyPup

" After I burned up the tank of rotgut the dealer gave me, the first tank of Premier I thought someone stole my engine and put in a gasser. That is how much difference there is, and all the cetane boost in the world didn't help the rotgut stuff run as smooth as the Premier."

YOU STOLE THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!

It is so amazing, both our TDI engines run like jet turbines, simply unreal how great it is!

GladesTDI

Okay,

I e-mailed with the BP website address...no reply.

I might to the "visual sampling test" However some say that Premier is clear--S-Pups sample is amber. Do colors vary or is it consistent?

dave

SilverJet00

BP has been mentioned here. In case it helps to know, my experience is this.

One former Amoco station, a place where I would get Amoco Premier (location: Indianapolis Int. Airport), is now BP. Upon my inquiry, I was told that the fuel is the same as before the change.

In other words, it's still Amoco Premier, although not labeled as such, sold at a BP station. Check for similar in your location.

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
When I mention clear - it is that it appears like water in the clear fuel line under the hood, and when you pump it, it looks like you are pouring Sprite or 7-Up in your tank. Nasty diesel has a yellowish foam to it, and looks greenish in the fuel line. I've never put any Premier in a glass beaker to really see. Maybe next time I'll fill up a pint Mason jar. It also has an almost pleasant odor if you get a bit on your hands. Yes, it smells like diesel, but it's more a kerosene odor (lighter, fresher) than the nasty, pungent odor of heating oil or cheap diesel.

Chris

Originally posted by GladesTDI:
Okay,

I e-mailed with the BP website address...no reply.

I might to the "visual sampling test" However some say that Premier is clear--S-Pups sample is amber. Do colors vary or is it consistent?

dave
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

sengert

Chris B & Bob!!!

Hey, you guys are in my neighborhood!?! That's pretty darn cool...

The hampton/45 Amoco is by far THE place for Premier Diesel in our area... I had GalacticWarrior (aka Jeff Gilmore) over as we split an order of Invinca Shield for our babies and when he looked under my hood, he commented "Hey! what are you running in there that has your fuel line clear!" I told him Amoco from the hampton exit... He just smiled and nodded, "Oh, I've heard they've got the best stuff in town."

True to form, my baby runs sweet on the stuff... I was forced to fill up at the Speedway Truck Stop off of Rawson on the South side last week.
I noticed a little puff of smoke on start, but at least no performance difference (unlike the BP crap from the station near my house).

Either of you try to follow the BioDiesel thread that was going earlier, or maybe even go and get any???!!!???

Hopefully I'll see you guys around!
Tony.

PS. There are 5 TDI's in our parking lot at H-D, right around the corner, so fill up for us is "oooh so easy!"

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
There are quite a few TDI'ers in the Milwaukee metro area on this list. I fuel up in either Slinger or Allenton, as I live a bit north of Milwaukee. These two stations definitely have the good stuff, too. The Amoco on Hampton has a better price, but the stations up by me have a nice pay-at-the-pump pump. Hampton is also a bit of a detour for my daily commute to Glendale.

I've not tried the Koch Gold 45 cetane fuel that's widely available at Kwik Trips and some Tri-Par stations up by me. Allegedly it's good stuff, but unfortunately we don't get the 50 cetane version.

Chris

===================================
Chris B & Bob!!!

Hey, you guys are in my neighborhood!?! That's pretty darn cool...

The hampton/45 Amoco is by far THE place for Premier Diesel in our area... I had GalacticWarrior (aka Jeff Gilmore) over as we split an order of Invinca Shield for our babies and when he looked under my hood, he commented "Hey! what are you running in there that has your fuel line clear!" I told him Amoco from the hampton exit... He just smiled and nodded, "Oh, I've heard they've got the best stuff in town."

True to form, my baby runs sweet on the stuff... I was forced to fill up at the Speedway Truck Stop off of Rawson on the South side last week. I noticed a little puff of smoke on start, but at least no performance difference (unlike the BP crap from the station near my house).

Either of you try to follow the BioDiesel thread that was going earlier, or maybe even go and get any???!!!???

Hopefully I'll see you guys around!
Tony.

PS. There are 5 TDI's in our parking lot at H-D, right around the corner, so fill up for us is "oooh so easy!"