Alu 5cyl questions

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Hi!

I have been searching the internet for a while, to get as much info as possible about the all-aluminum engine that sits in newer Transporters, Multivans and Touaregs.
The thing is I cant find any good info! almost only some enginecodes and pictures. So what place can be better then ask here:)

I'm thinking of seriously tune this engine becuase to me it seems like a realy good engine to start with. I have a couple of questions tough, If you know some answer please write.

1. What (if any) is the main "problems" with those? Cam problems?
2. What is the difference between all enginecodes (list in the end of this post)
3. How much can standard injectors support?(how big are they)
4. Is there any place to buy bigger injectors if needed?
5. What gearboxes fits the engine? old quattro ones?
6. Enginemounts, like the old ones?
7. Rods, like PD16V? or how do they look?

All info and pictures (gladly from inside the engine) I can get about those engines is intresting!

Looks great:)

The enginecodes I have found:

-BLK Touareg 163hp (03-06)
-BPD Touareg 163hp
-BPE Touareg 174hp
-BAC Touareg 174hp (03-06)
-AXD Transporter 131hp
-BNZ Transporter 131hp (newer)
-BPC Transporter / Multivan 174hp DPF
-AXE Transporter 174hp
-BLJ Multivan 163hp

Last edited:

LTR

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4Motion, 2002
1. Cam lube, still problem as in PD1.9L, cylinder 3 piston and block sometimes crack.

2. Same base engine as far I have done, but only opened T5 engines. Turbos and injectors change.

-BLK Touareg 163hp (03-06)
-BPD Touareg 163hp
-BPE Touareg 174hp
-BAC Touareg 174hp (03-06)
-AXD Transporter 131hp
-BNZ Transporter 131hp (newer)
-BPC Transporter / Multivan 174hp DPF
-AXE Transporter 174hp
-BLJ Multivan 163hp

3. 131hp has same injectors as PD100 and PD105(200hp with these), 174hp has PD130/150 injectors(~250hp with these). Bigger is the same as PD1.9L. I have R783 in use over a year now.

4. Now you allready know this because you have read the number 3 before.

5. T5 has a truck caliber gearbox. It has to be strong as I have abused my own a little bit now.. and no problems.

6.-

7. Trow in the same as in the audi, they'll do fine. ganska bra.

The cylinder head is also very good as std. maybe so good that with std. valves it doesn't get easily much better..

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
Problems:
-terrible sound. Like a stone crusher. :D
-water pump leaking and mixing coolant with oil
-crappy stock exhaust manifold

VW gave up with this engine and starting to put only 2.0 CR engine in T5 (or T6?).

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for great answers!

I thought injectors were like 2,0 16V since this is a crossflow head!? But can now see on some pictures that its not, allright! (great)

Well, doesnt seem so possitive, but I like the idea with alu-block and crossflow head and still "older", cheaper parts inside engine...

I have some crazy new thoughts, thinking of putting one of those engines in a Audi 80Q B3. And transplant to circuit racing car. Since it has the engine to far front its good with alu engine, and 2,5l has always been a "dream" to me. 300hp in a pretty light car and hopefully pretty long lasting engine is about what I want:)

Is the engine worth this BIG job that it takes? or should I just stop think this crazy?

EDIT. What have you done to your engine LTR?

//Theo

Last edited:

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone with more relevant info about those engines?

Gearboxes, "truck caliber" is that an own special bult pattern or does older GBs fit?

//Theo