Alternator replacement

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Is there a way to get the alternator out without taking off the front end ? All of the shops I normally use are booked , and I’m tired of driving my gas guzzler . Sadly I don’t have the tools or know how , my mobile mechanic says he has to take off the front end of the car (bumper/radiator etc). There’s no videos on YouTube on this for the NMS Passats .

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
weightloss400,

dropping the fans might not give you enough room.

erwin info sez to put the front lock carrier into the service position (search for it….there are videos) and to drop the ac compressor (some veterans here say it’s easier to completely remove the compressor from the car if you have refrigerant recovery/recharge equipment).

i’ve been looking into doing this job myself as the alternator in my car seems to have become heat sensitive (system voltage drops when the temp under hood rises). i’m gonna wait til i have the opportunity to use a lift….this doesn’t look like the kind of fun i’d enjoy on my back in the driveway.

bob.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Alternator comes out from the bottom, remove the fans (4 botls, 1 connector) unbolt the AC compressor and drop down and let rest on something no need to remove any hoses, then the alternator can drop out the bottom.

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
weightloss400,

dropping the fans might not give you enough room.

erwin info sez to put the front lock carrier into the service position (search for it….there are videos) and to drop the ac compressor (some veterans here say it’s easier to completely remove the compressor from the car if you have refrigerant recovery/recharge equipment).

i’ve been looking into doing this job myself as the alternator in my car seems to have become heat sensitive (system voltage drops when the temp under hood rises). i’m gonna wait til i have the opportunity to use a lift….this doesn’t look like the kind of fun i’d enjoy on my back in the driveway.

bob.
Videos on how to do it on the Passat ?

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
No need at all to remove the front end or put in service mode, just drop the AC compressor down (no need to disconnect the referigerant lines), the alternator is right above the compressor.
Took me maybe 2 hours to remove and replace. Just know that the alternator is tight after removing the bolts due to the bushing that tightens and removes any slack between the mounts.

weightloss400

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Having a hard time getting the top bolt into the replacement . Switched from valeo to Bosch , thought they was interchangeable.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Mine was a Bosch and replace with a Bosch, do not recall any issues getting it back in.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just FYI, the bumper cover takes 5 minutes to remove, and the lock carrier assembly is then easily slid into service position 5 minutes after that. For anyone reading this thread that has an unfounded fear of placing the NMS' lock carrier (or any other modern VAG car, for that matter) into service position. Painfully easy, and sooner or later given the CKRA's litany of failpoints, you'll want to know how to do it anyway.