Alright MFA cluster gurus... need help recoding

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I recoded my new MFA with my old software coding... 05432 (no seatbelt warning, England, no service interval, K value 2)

But Ryan, you say, you don't live in England. I know, but I wanted 24 hour clock and miles.

But Ryan, you say, That 3 means no service interval, and will make your MFA cluster unhappy. It should be a 0.

No kidding. so now my cluster is throwing DTC's because it can't find the sensor, but it can't be recoded because it's throwing DTC's.

Any suggestions?

moondawg

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You should be able to recode the cluster. Throwing codes or not. the last thing you do is clear the codes. All the cluster upgrades will throw a few codes till you are done, Then as the last step clear the codes.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I recoded my new MFA with my old software coding... 05432 (no seatbelt warning, England, no service interval, K value 2)
But Ryan, you also configured your cluster for IMPERIAL gallons.

L

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
But Ryan, you also configured your cluster for IMPERIAL gallons.

L
Yeah, I know... that's part of the reason I was trying to change it back. I was following the instructions to the "T" so I brought forth my coding from my old cluster (where gallons didn't matter) to my new cluster. (dammit. I really wanted that 24 hour clock)

I was finally able to get my new cluster to code to 05232. That made it quit displaying "Oil Sensor Workshop" Coding it to 05212 made it act like the immobilizer was kicking in.... although it wasn't. I think it might have something to do with service intervals not being setup correctly.

In order to get it to code, I could only change one digit at a time. Trying to go directly from 05432 to 05202 didn't work. However, stepping from 05432 to 05232 to 05212 and back to 05232 worked mahhvolessly.

Now I just need my stalk and sensor.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

moondawg

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
DOH! Spoke too soon. Oil Sensor Workshop! is back.

Any ideas? Can I rig up a resistor to ground to simulate having an oil sensor? Will this be fixed if I can ever get my cluster coding to 05202?

moondawg

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
OK, more weirdness with this cluster:

Changing the country code gets rid of my Oil Sensor Workshop code. So, 05x32 will work as long as x != 2 or 4.

Changing from 05x32 to 05x12 always makes the engine die immediately after starting.

I can only change the service interval digit to a 1 or a 3. 0 and 2 refuse to code.

Any ideas? Anyone?

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Maybe the software is wrong. My cluster started life as a PAssat TDI cluster and would not take some soft coding settings, the speed sensor number among others.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I was wondering about that. I guess the worst case would be that I add the hardware necessary for the flex intervals!