Already asked oldpoopie, jsrmonster, dieselgeek...

lam121

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GL - Blue Anthracite
Justin said it might be the anti-shudder valve.
Jeff said it might be a leaky injector.
Jim said it might be the MAF or N-75.

I hold whatever these gurus say in the highest regard but before i plunk down at least $100 on any of these remedies and would feel better if i had more people siding with one solution so now its time for a general post. Here are the symptoms:

My car shudders when i shut it off. Not all of the time just some of the time.

My car loses power abruptly whenever it wants to. Usually when im in fifth gear and around 2200 rpm, but has done so in every gear and at mostly any rpm. When i finally find a hill to go down, i turn off the car (i know this is probably not the safest thing to do) coast and wait around 15 seconds before turning it back on and its fine. At this point it may continue to be fine for the rest of my trip or is might abruptly lose power again in 2 minutes.

The CEL never comes on when the car dies but at one point vag-com told me i had an error that said it was an overboost problem.

Can both the shudder and the dying be realted or are they two seprate problems? I have heard of MAFs dying slowly but i feel that if that was the problem it wouldn't be better sometimes and instead would continue to decline. And I also know that i have to clean out my intake soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Leonardo

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Re: Already asked oldpoopie, jsrmonster, dieselgee

Since you have access to a vagcom, try logging the manifold pressure and the MAF reading while accelerating. You should see requested and actual for each parameter. This should give data which can be used to help diagnose the problem. FWIW sounds like N75 problem to me, but I always defer to the data.

Good Luck,

Roger

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

I love to make wild guesses. The "limp mode" is something you may be able to figure out yourself. The return to power after an off/on cycle does indicate that it's along the N75 "system" which I believe includes the intake/intercooler system. I know it's not really connected.... but a split in the intercooler can cause very similar problems to a bad vacuum hose to the N75. The valve itself may not be bad - it may likely be one of the three hoses that connect to it, or the "boost tubing" having some leak that causes the ecu to cut the boost.

Shutter - all I've seen to fix this is to adjust the iq.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D

can you come to the House of 5 Garages next Sat.????

If so we can take good parts of our cars to test it out.

try my MAF take a drive . .. .

get it?

Best way to solve the problem, and you get to go to a GTG!

just an idea.

also .. .you could see/ smell a leaky injector with the cover off.

I would try the MAF first. some people have had luck cleaning it with denatured alcholol. but look that procedure up before doing.

Brian

lam121

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GL - Blue Anthracite

Thanks guys for all your responses. I was able to get in on the SS lines group buy and will be replacing all of them soon.

Can't come to NH on the 12th - going to play paintball but thanks for the invite.

The HowTo write up by GoFaster was a big help. I will definitely use that.

It seems if all else fails, the N75 will be the first thing getting replaced.

This is exactly why i think this is the best board -Thanks again.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

my WAG is the N75, with possibly the MAF contributing to lessened performance.

Definitely change the vacuum hoses. I recently cured an A4 Jetta with the hose swap.

Also, check the large hose going into the EGR/antishudder valve. I have found several of these split lately.