allen key size

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
what size is the allen key that holds the hose on to the bottom of the egr valve? I tried a couple yesterday and either its my man sized meat hooks or i dont have the correct size. maybe i need a set of allen sockets without the balls on the tip as im worried ill strip the head.
thanks
Rob

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
Rob, do yourself a favor and get the style that goes on a 3/8'' ratchet. if your desperate, swing by my work and borrow mine.

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
hmm well i got that set maybe i dont have the correct rachet. the rear 6 mm on the hose i cant seem to get on the bolt head no matter how i put the socket.

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
I cant remember what I've done is the past, Mine has been off a million times, it always just seemed to work. I have extra long 6mm with and without a ball end as well.

I do have a flex head ratchet, maybe that's the key.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Cut a 6mm allen key and stick it in a 6mm socket. Wrap electrical tape around it to hold it in if it's not to be permanent. Use a 1/4 drive socket/rachet. You'll be able to get into anything easily. Should look something like this:

This helped me out big time with my EGR/intake work last week.

Still want me to make you a exhaust manifold block off plate?

Pete

Last edited:

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
i bought short ones and was a bit of trouble but i didnt get the egr off. my intake needs work for sure i cleaned the egr and the rest is quite nasty phat dub made me a set and delivered. i guess it was an early easter gift or something