ALH underbody plugs - why

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
When crawling around under the car the other day I noticed that there are parts of the car with ~1.5" rubber grommets - and many places without grommets.

What do these plugs do, and why are they there in some places but not others?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
they have fallen out due to rusting or just age. when the car was made, it eventually got dunked in a huge tub of paint to seal it up right after the metal work. this is for them to drain out all the paint.
the only purpose they have now is to collect dirt and make rust.
Clean it up as best you can, spray with rust converter and patch it up with some sheet metal and rivets and undercoating. If you feel frisky get the welder out and pull the carpets and fix it properly.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Another reason could be that that car had been towed on a flatbed. Then the tow truck driver might have hooked chains there to secure the car and did not replace the rubber plugs.

Happened to me a long time ago!

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yes, they are supposed to be plugged. ID Parts has the correct grommets to replace the missing ones. Before ordering, crawl under with a tape measure and count how many and which type (measuring the ID and shape of the hole). If I recall, there are a couple different types under there. This is how I replaced mine, then after installing the new ones, I sprayed them with a thick coat of automotive undercoating to seal everything up. Hope this helps!

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Careful sealing them all up! there are four that are drains and if you seal them they will hold water. Two in front and two in back. Something else will rust out (the fenders) before The drain channels are a problem. I spray oil in those once or twice a year and hope for the best

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Careful sealing them all up! there are four that are drains and if you seal them they will hold water. Two in front and two in back. Something else will rust out (the fenders) before The drain channels are a problem. I spray oil in those once or twice a year and hope for the best
what drains? i was unaware that any of these are supposed to be open. there are part numbers for all of these hols indicating that they are to be plugged. or so i thought. Water isn't supposed to get inside, a hole will let that happen. if your getting water in a place, fix it instead of letting it drain or its mold and rust town for you. The only drains i know of are the condensate, valance, and sun roof drains

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
what drains? i was unaware that any of these are supposed to be open. there are part numbers for all of these hols indicating that they are to be plugged. or so i thought. Water isn't supposed to get inside, a hole will let that happen. if your getting water in a place, fix it instead of letting it drain or its mold and rust town for you. The only drains i know of are the condensate, valance, and sun roof drains
I had all mine sealed up and the tow guy went to hook up and removed two caps in front and a lot of water flowed out. The two front oblong ones. I decided they’re drains. Two in back too. I keep the others sealed, and it’s like a drain channel. It held water with all plugs in (I could hear it slosh). If I parked on a steep decline I could get water dripping from under the front doors.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had all mine sealed up and the tow guy went to hook up and removed two caps in front and a lot of water flowed out. The two front oblong ones. I decided they’re drains. Two in back too. I keep the others sealed, and it’s like a drain channel. It held water with all plugs in (I could hear it slosh). If I parked on a steep decline I could get water dripping from under the front doors.
sun roof? its leaking or drains are clogged or something is letting water in maybe rusted wheel well or whatever. pull the carpets up and find out! Could also be a condensate drain is clogged. that is NOT a drain, it is now but your in for a world of rust hurtin soon if it keeps up like this.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Unbelievable. I got the sunroof drain to work, then plugged holes in bottom. Then for no apparent reason sunroof drain separates. Thanks Mongler, hopefully I’ll be on track again soon with my holes sealed. The drivers side sunroof drain goes right into those oval frame holes when it’s nipple pops off. I think I’ll try pulling it’s nipple back on with some weed wacker string.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Weird, my sunroof drains go down into the doors, or out under the back bumper. At least they're supposed to, but since the lines detached from the sunroof the water just drains into the headliner every time it rains. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI

This one is towards the center of the car on the front drivers side. Don’t think this one drains or why it’s missing. Maybe I didn’t have a plug that’d fit as it is a larger round hole.

This is the rear hole which is missing on both sides due to the tow guy.

Here are the front tow hook holes. He pushed the plugs up in there until I told him to stop doing that. These are the ones that drained the sunroof when it’s nipples detached. I took .105 weed wacker string and cleared the front sunroof drains (with nipples removed to avoid puncturing them) and tugged the nipples back on with knotted string so they’re draining again. I should’ve realized they weren’t working when my doors stopped squeaking. I sprayed some Wurth door hinge lube on the hinges to lubricate the squeak.