ALH power increase

Geky

TDI
1.9tdi ALH tuned to 175hp/ VNT17, PP502's, PD150 intake, 3bar map
Hey guys, so i was searching for info regarding upgrading the ALH non pd version. I found out that i could use the pd130/150 intake manifold, vnt17 or gt2052v (found a thread where a member used one), injectors from AEL 150hp variant (the T4 or 2.5tdi audi). Now, ive read through so many threads and each n every one of em says different things, therefore i created this thread to get the required clarification. Will i need a bigger IC? Whats the difference between smic/fmic? Do i need to weld to fir the turbo? Will the injectors work or shall i just swap the nozzles instead? Do these nozzles require calibration or is it just for PDs? How about transmission? Brakes? Are there any other suggestions? Id gladly appreciate if you'd suggest different nozzles/injectors/turbo anything tbf. Im running a tdi90 alh with gt1749va and a tune at my local tuner.

Thank you in advance,
Geky.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
You can update to bigger nozzles to get more power like 150-160 Hp. And yes they need to be calibrate proper way.
Otherwise what you running now it will be Fine . VNT 17 turbo is just step above form Factory VNt15. All other updates you can do it like Intake and etc if you want to run more power, It all depends what you like to do .

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
SMIC= side mount intercooler. FMIC= front mount intercooler. For the HP your wanting to get you probably only need an upgraded smic if you want it. it'll keep egt's (exhaust gas temp) down. I don't know for sure yet if I will even upgrade my smic I'm went stage 3 malone tune, pp520 injectors and a south bend stage 2 clutch. You will want a clutch upgrade if you have a manual.

Geky

TDI
Currently, i can get a vnt17 for around 150e recently refurbished and im thinking of swapping it with the VA variant. Thiugh, i guess ill be needing bigger nozzles or whole injectors instead. The question about IC's was, is one better than the other? Like, is fmic somewhat better than smic and can u even fit a bigger smic in octavia? As much as ive seen, the IC is already cornered there without any free space so i guess id have to start removing smth and swapping it with a pd130 ic to avoid heat sump? One more thing, if im thinking of injectors, should i search for the whole injector instead of the nozzle or can i go with standart 90hp ALH injectors and swap nozzles with an AEL 150hp?
Regards,
Geky

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
The upgraded smic isn't really bigger, just better air flow, and is all aluminum. I don't know what the AEL nozzle size is or what it's out of so i don't know if they will work, but you can put larger nozzles on the alh injectors fine. just have them calibrated. i could be wrong maybe someone with a little more knowledge will chime in, but i think you really only need fmic if your pushing crazy hp and need more space to cool the air. One thing with that though is that you'll have to pump more air as well because of the bigger space. Which means the boost takes a bit longer to build, or you'll need a turbo that can pump more air or spool faster. Which ever way that is....

Geky

TDI
The AEL injectors are .216 as far as ive seen. So i can put like pp520s and have them calibrated right? As much as ive read, pp520s should be enough with my setup atleast for now. The real question is if ill be able to put these AEL injectors. One more thing, ive heard that non pd injectors dont require any calibration, they just need to be setup properly in comparison to pd, hence why VE is easier to install, pls correct me if im wrong.
Have a great day,
Geky.

Geky

TDI
After reading some more, i just need confirmation whether that'll work.
-T4 151hp injectors(the .216s i believe) and can i just plug them in, change the IQ by a bit and take the car down for tuning?
-vnt17(does it need any additional work to it or is it simply bolt on upgrade to the 1749va?
-pd150 intake manifold? Can i just clean n swap it with my 90hp VE?
-a clutch probs?
-pd130 smic? Or is there another one?

Do i need any specific adaptors or is everything pnp?

I just need these questions answered before i can start buying.

Thankin yall so much.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Geky,

An upgraded smic and intake will make a big difference in the amount of air going through the motor. Those upgrades with a slightly bigger turbo and .216 nozzles will make a big difference, get a 3bar MAP and a tune.
I recommend a brake upgrade, IIRC (if I recall correctly), 288mm rotors on the front, standard on the VR6 or 1.8t, and vented 246mm on the rear, some TT quatro models. You will need the calipers and carriers. Get a tune and a clutch,
with a 24-26psi tune you'll be amazed at the transformation.

All of the above need minimal modification to the car, just a couple bigger hoses basically. And I recommend an EGR
delete and a bit bigger exhaust, 65mm is plenty, a catch can will help keep the turbo clean. You'll be close to doubling the horsepower.