ALH Intake Manifold Cleaning/Exchange

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
The base auto shop where i do some work on my 2002 NB will not allow you to use any solvents or use a pressure washer to clean out a plugged intake manifold or other coked up parts. This is due to HAZMAT concerns. Don't even mention burning it out. The last resort is to buy a new intake manifold.
Does anyone offer to clean out intake manifolds as a service or on an exchange basis? This would solve my problem easily and cheaper than buying a new intake manifold.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Get one at your local bone yard and clean it out yourself. That way you will know it is clean and save you some $$$.

benhart16

TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
I've cleaned intakes out a number of ways including soaking them in diesel fuel. I just dispose of the diesel by dropping it off at a used oil recycler. I've also used WD40. I'd try D-limonene if you were worried about going green, and dispose of it as waste oil.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
A couple of good ideas from flee and benhart16. I will run this buy then and see if they agree. I am also considering sending the parts to be cleaned to a machine shop for the task. Just to give you an idea of what I am up against I had to prove to then that clay desiccant, a common material used to absorb spills (kitty litter) is not HAZMAT via documents from the manufacturer before they would allow use.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
I wonder if a citrus based cleaner would work? Citrisolv is potent, never used it on car parts though.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
how much does a new manifold cost?
i'll sell you a good used one, not cleaned yet, for 50.00. clean this one to minimize down time and sell it when finished. what i did.
lord knows i could use the money.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
soaking them doesn't seem to do much in my experience, maybe if it isn't really all that plugged up, but it won't eat through an inch of goo

Take it off the car, bring it home, then burn it out, bring it back and toss it back on.
Or just do the whole thing at home. Everything's easily accessible from the top.