ALH injector service interval

Corvairer

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 360k miles and climbing
I'm the 2nd owner of my 2003 ALH wagon. I'm getting it back on the road after a long hiatus. I'm not having issues related to injectors, but as far as I know, my injectors/nozzles are factory and have never been serviced. I'm at 364k and plan on road tripping it this fall. A couple years or so ago, it seemed to give about a second of full-ish fuel while I was lightly accelerating. I had just checked the I/C for oil, so it wasn't that. I suspected an injector stuck for a second, so I did a diesel purge treatment. It's been fine since. The PO and I have mostly always run quality diesel and 2-stroke oil. How often should the injectors and/or nozzles be inspected/rebuilt/replaced?

Thanks

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Whats the mpg? Thats a good judge of character. It has the miles to warrant checking them if your up for it. Their good till their not. Somebody must have a miles number but the cost v.s reward is what it comes down to. New tips are better than old start a fire asking which ones to replace with.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those injectors are way overdue for a refresh. I'd get new nozzles and have a good diesel ship (most Bosch shops can do it) set them up and test them. As injectors age the spray pattern can change and flow can be reduced, limiting power and starting ability without an FE hit. The bigger risk is that one injector starts streaming fuel at some point, which can have a catastrophic result.

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I had new tips installed and pop tested by Drive By Wire last year. During our conversation I mentioned that the injectors I was replacing had over 300,000 miles on them. I was told that due to the essential elimination of phosphorus from diesel fuel, the OEM unhardened injector tips are only good for about 150,000 miles. The additive that I've been using since I bought both cars (used) probably extended that a bit, but they were toast. Make sure that your new tips include DLC (diamond like coating).

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
HA! What ever it is, the BEW will get its injectors ignored far past recommended due to the PITA/expense of replacing them...LOL

The money-loving hearts of BEW owners probably plays a part too.

Got new nozzles for my ALH and it sure does start quickly. Not that an H8 and Valeo starter hurts that.

Douglas

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Its been pretty heavily used for a long time now in the VP44 cummins world, but a new(rebuilt) VP44 is $1300 and up. I’ve wondered if it hasn’t taken off with ALH owners because the cost vs return is hardly worth it when 2 stroke has become so expensive to run compared to the price you can pick up a ALH IP for?