Alh egr deleted without tune mpg.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Anybody out there have some numbers for a egr delete mpg without having the cel tuned off? Trying to do some comparison work on my car. Money is tight after injectors for a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Don't expect any noticeable mpg gain at all from an egr delete. you'll gain a little airflow and you'll feel like you have some go fast goodies 'cause you can actually see the part- as opposed to tune and injectors. And you won't have to worry about the EGR blowing oil out all over your motor. When you delete the anti-shudder butterfly, you'll also gain some shutdown shudder. That's about all.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I'm trying to judge if my poor fuel economy is caused by the egr being deleted but not tuned out. I'm getting 32mpg and there isn't much else to consider.

Ganoid

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp
May want to check injection timing. Did you just slap the nozzles on or have some one set them up? Hows your intake manifold look? Is it plugged up?

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I'm trying to judge if my poor fuel economy is caused by the egr being deleted but not tuned out. I'm getting 32mpg and there isn't much else to consider.
What brand injectors?
I had a leaky injector on a set that the P.O. installed, and I got the same 32 MPG as you. ('98 Jetta AHU) I also had considerable start up smoke.
Everything was fine once I replaced the cheap injectors that the P.O. used.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Injectors are from dbw. Soi timing got adjusted as when they first got installed it was way retarded.

I have tons more power and much less smoke. But I'm getting exactly the same mpg I was getting with my worn out and dead injectors. I take is also cleaned out which is when I put on the egr delete.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
manual or auto?
Have you checked #'s on your MAF?
Did you adjust IQ when you changed injectors?
Turbo operating properly? (actuator working when it's supposed to?)
Anything that would add to wind resistance on the car like a bike rack or safari basket?
What kind of driving do you do?
I got 32 mpg on one tank about 13 years ago. Bikes and coolers on top of the car driving into a 35 mph steady headwind across kansas... never before and never since. Not even 100% in town driving.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
manual or auto?
Have you checked #'s on your MAF?
Did you adjust IQ when you changed injectors?
Turbo operating properly? (actuator working when it's supposed to?)
Anything that would add to wind resistance on the car like a bike rack or safari basket?
What kind of driving do you do?
I got 32 mpg on one tank about 13 years ago. Bikes and coolers on top of the car driving into a 35 mph steady headwind across kansas... never before and never since. Not even 100% in town driving.

Manual

Maf readings after replacement a few months ago everything was good.

Iq actually went up from 1.8 at stock vcds levels to 4.0 with new injectors Currently running 5.6iq.

Actuator was double checked day before yesterday. Nice and smooth. Whole turbo is only about 6 months old.

No roof racks or anything. Crappy old hard tires. But I don't see that effecting. 100% city stop and go.

I did talk to Malone since my last post and he said with a complete tune I should see a couple mpg gain. Still thinks my numbers are way low tho.

Like I said it's odd that the new injectors and the old dead ones give the same economy. It also feels like driving the car normal and driving it hard (not racing) gets the same mpg. Another odd one.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Would like to throw out an update. Haven't had time to get any logs. But I did bump the iq to 6.8. It appears to be doing 35-36 now. I had a screwy tank of gas where I overfilled and some ran off so I couldn't get a solid number. Figured it as loosing one gallon. I got a set amount of fuel in it now based on when the fuel light comes on so I should know by Saturday. If I can manage 36 I will be happy at this point being I know running stock fuel maps and no tune hurt 4-5mpg.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FWIW search "epsilonian device" on these forums. ;)