Alarm Won't Turn On

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Alarm Won\'t Turn On

I've had a 2001 Golf TDI less than one month and tonight, after picking up a pizza, getting out and pressing the lock button on my key thing, the alarm did not turn on. The doors locked and the lights flashed once, but neither the horn sounded nor the red LLED on the driver's window flashed.

Is this just a typical VW electronic malfunction or does it indicate something worse? This depresses me because two weeks ago I had the right front passenger visor replaced when the vanity light refused to turn off.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Re: Alarm Won\'t Turn On

That's happened to my 2000 golf a handful of times. If I open and close the right door that usually takes care of it.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001

My 2001 Golf did the same thing for a day. I was surprised when the horn didn't sound when locked. Then it started working like it should. I'll never know if it happens again as I have turned off the horn feature.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual

Uh, inept owner here again. Seems my wife failed to close the trunk door completely yesterday. This morning she opened and shut it again and now the alarm works fine. Thanks for your kind help and patience.

Kiwi

The alarm also doesn't activate if the hood isn't latched fully. Just another thing to check...

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Mass. Wine Guy.....don't get to bummed out if a couple things need fixing along the way. Most problems are relatively easy to fix, but it's a pain in the butt anyhow.

Remember that you have one of the most unique cars in the States.

Crazy Cat Lady

Veteran Member

Mine does it about 1/3 of the time now but then it will usually beep and turn itself on a couple of minutes later.

It's going for it's 5000 checkup soon anyway.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

the no-beep arming means that something isn't closed (hatch, door, hood, etc) or one of the pin switches are bad.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

It won't beep if the Hood isn't latched either - don't ask me how I know but let me tell you this - 1 hour of 75+ mph driving can't open the safety latch on the hood!

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI

I think I've got a wierd wiring problem with my alarm. There are times when I open the trunk with the remote, and the alarm disarms properly. After 30 seconds, it re-arms as if I've closed the trunk, even if it's still wide open. If it does that and I look at the light in the trunk, it's off. It's intermittent, as sometimes the light is on and sometimes not when the trunk lid is open.

My concern is...if the trunk is open (and light is off) the alarm will re-arm. At that point, the trunk is not part of the alarm 'loop'. If the trunk is not closed properly, then anyone could open the trunk, swipe my golf clubs, and walk away without the alarm sounding.

Any ideas?? How do I trace it? Where's the sensor that tells the alarm that the trunk is open, so it disarms and turns on the light? Somehow, it's that circuit that's acting up on me. Yeah I know, two ways to prevent that are...1/ not keep the clubs in the trunk, and 2/ make sure it closes properly, but that doesn't answer the concern about the alarm.

Thanx for any help.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

I am having a similar problem with the driver's side door look on my 1999.5 Jetta. http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=002270 After taking apart the entire innards, I discovered that if I jiggle the two little wires going into the power lock (which contain the switches), I can simulate the condition, where the door thinks it's closed/locked(?). I could do this also when the door was together by tapping in the area of the latch. A new lock is $127 + tax from local dealer, uninstalled. I will try to take the thing apart or spray something in there or anything, before I shell out that money. Shouldn't happen on a car with 30,000 miles.

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI

I just called my dealer, and they figured my guess of wiring may be correct, or it could be the switch. Apparently in the Jetta (dunno about the other models) the switch is either near or in the same area as the latch. I think I'll take it apart later and spray with some no-residue cleaner (same stuff for cleaning my MAF later today) and see what happens. I'll also check the wiring as you suggest, and let y'all know what happens.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OilBurnerBob:
Don't forget the fuel filler door!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fuel door will set off the alarm??

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI

I dunno about the fuel filler door. I solved my problem though. I took apart the latch for the trunk lid, and removed the switch for the alarm contact. After a thorough cleaning with the contact cleaner, I put it back together and it seems to be fine. I ordered a new switch anyways, and will store it with my spare relay 109.