Airbag light on now...

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
About 3 weeks ago my car was in an accident. It got rear-ended. I picked it up from the body shop, but now my Airbag light is on. Anyone have any insight into this? The airbag light was NOT on after the accident, and not before it went to the body shop. What could have changed? Anyone have any idea where to start looking? I tried scanning for codes, but nothing is stored. Also, I used my Q-loader to check for the codes, not VCDS.

I have a 2004 VW Jetta TDI (BEW), 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (09A), etc. It's all in my signature.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

-Brian

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Impact sensors need replacement, or the bags may not work when needed next time. Expert recommended.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Hmmmm....I wonder if someone at the body shop stole one, or more, of the air bags.

You need to scan the codes and procede from there. There is a TSB for each of the air bag systems that covers extensive troubleshooting. This is a TSB and IS NOT in the Bentley manual. The folks with the Bentley CD have the TSBs.

I did not think theh AB sensor (s) needed replacing unles the air bag(s) deployed. Anyway, Bentley covers this.

--Nate

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
A long shot here. I have an 04 Golf (PD engine is what I am getting at). Because of that stupid recall on my glow plugs and the hard starting I have had two hard enough starts were the airbag light came on. Not to say that is your issue but depending on the location the car is in (your avatar has a couple locations and one might be cold enough). I wouldn't just reset and forget either. Ask them if it got below zero on the cold car and if they had a hard time starting it.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Re: Hard starts

coalminer, my airbag warning light (2002 TDI Jetta Wagon) has been lit for the past few days. The problem that I'm facing is in my alternator, I think it's the pulley (instead of the regulator or diodes). My system voltage is fluctuating enough to make my instrument panel (gauges, etc.) really psychotic.

The airbag warning light is stuck on now (and I haven't had time to rescan with VCDS, etc) ... so I am thinking that your long/hard cranking episodes could depress the 12-14V system voltage enough, to make the airbag disable itself (or whatever this warning light truly signifies). Larry.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Make sure all the connectors are tight. I set my air bag light when I yanked the passenger seat from an awkward postion.,.. very sensitive to even a slightly increased resistance. System has to be reset via vagcom or the like.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I c. It was only after several long cranks that mine light went off so you sound like you have/had the same issue as I did on my hard cold starts. My scan gauge won't reset the light but the vag com will.