air passing on acceleration

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
somewhere in midrange on acceleration. between 2 and 3500 rpm, i get a whooshing passage of air. only for a few seconds. under heavy acceleration after the initial whoosh i can still hear passing air very quietly.

i have been told this was a boost pipe problem. but it feels tightly fitted. going to the dealership on wednesday to get it checked out.

i have been wondering if it could be an egr cooler problem instead. my car hasnt been itself since the recall. at 80 mph i used to get a rumbling noise as tho a loose gasket is passing.

enybody have info on this or a similar situation?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
tdi_sport said:
somewhere in midrange on acceleration. between 2 and 3500 rpm, i get a whooshing passage of air. only for a few seconds. under heavy acceleration after the initial whoosh i can still hear passing air very quietly.

i have been told this was a boost pipe problem. but it feels tightly fitted. going to the dealership on wednesday to get it checked out.

i have been wondering if it could be an egr cooler problem instead. my car hasnt been itself since the recall. at 80 mph i used to get a rumbling noise as tho a loose gasket is passing.

enybody have info on this or a similar situation?
From your posting's title I briefly thought that you experienced flatulence as a result of extreme acceleration.
The boost leak is likely the correct diagnosis. There is actually more than one hose....from the turbo to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake manifold. A boost leak will gut the performance of the car (after all, that is why you have a turbo in the first place!). Follow the hoses and not only check for tight fit, but also for splits. A hose that popped off completely causes the engine to ingest unfiltered air..not good.

Have someone sit in the driver's seat and blip the accelerator pedal to make the turbo spool up...that should aid you in pinpointing where the "whoosh" comes from.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
funny thing. i have absolutely no loss of power.

i will keep things posted.