Air box Snorkel and Snow Screen

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
So I am putting my intake back to stock. I bought my car with a Carbonio cold air intake with a K&N type oiled air filter. Not liking the K&N, I pulled it off and put an AEM dryflow filter on it. Now I've decided to put it back to stock and have an air box and just ordered a used snorkel. My question is, what does the snorkel fit into over by the headlight where air is drawn in? I am wondering if a piece was removed when the PO installed the cold air intake. Just don't see any spot where it would go. Any help with pictures or part numbers would be appreciated. Thanks!

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
Surely someone knows the answer to this and can walk out to their car and take a quick look. I am just trying to take my car back to stock.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Im not looking at my car. Its night time. Let's see what I can remember. Look at the hood release latch with the hood open. Right next to it there are three rows of small squares or holes facing the front of the car so air can pass through them. Look behind that and you may or may not have some plastic pieces that would channel that air behind the headlight assembly and between the battery box. Many here call that the stock cai.

I hope that helps. A bentley owners manual is very helpful too. Sometimes you can pick up a used one for fifty bucks. A new one is like a hundo.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
Im not looking at my car. Its night time. Let's see what I can remember. Look at the hood release latch with the hood open. Right next to it there are three rows of small squares or holes facing the front of the car so air can pass through them. Look behind that and you may or may not have some plastic pieces that would channel that air behind the headlight assembly and between the battery box. Many here call that the stock cai.

I hope that helps. A bentley owners manual is very helpful too. Sometimes you can pick up a used one for fifty bucks. A new one is like a hundo.
I hadn't even thought about consulting my Bentley manual. I'll take a look at that tonight. I have an airbox and snorkel and am not sure if something by the headlight was removed to fit the cold air intake in.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
After some more searching, it looks like I might be missing the piece behind the headlight that the snorkel attaches to. I'll check it out later today to see if it is missing for sure. A quick glance yesterday makes me believe the prior owner pulled it.

Edit: I found a photo of what I am looking for. It is circled in red. I am going to run out to my car this afternoon and take a look at it but I think that piece was removed by the prior owner to fit the cold air intake in.

Last edited:

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked yesterday and the shroud where the snorkel attaches is missing. Going to hit up a junk yard to try to round one up if it is even necessary.