Aging Headlight lamps???

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
As the lamps in our headlights age, do they become dimmer? Or, do they just quit working all together.

Have OEM Hella E-Codes w/fogs and I think my headlight lamps are dimmer then they were a year ago. Either that or my eyesight, being a year older, is failing exponetially.

Looking for Osram Silverstars for replacement. Anyone know of a good source for these lamps?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Osram Silverstars are available from: www.powerbulbs.com

Golf? Jetta? If Jetta, how are your lenses doing, clouded? I'm sure brightness falls off as bulbs reach the end of their lives but... not that I've ever noticed.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
Pat.. Thanks for the quick reply.

The lenses are nice and tight. no vapor, water, condensation, or clouding, or scratches, etc.

I'll give that site a try.

Next step, the dreaded driver-side lamp replacement. Oy!!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Halogen lamps do dim some as they age. Generally they will burn out before they dim enough to be an issue.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I work with still image projectors which use 100w 12v lamps, and I can tell you there is a big difference between one that's brand new and one that's going to burn out in a couple weeks.

-J

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hey, no problem... you might try ECS tuning as well. They're here in the US but used to stock Euro bulbs (for some reason). If you order from PowerBulbs, don't be put off by their location. It's never taken more than just a few days to get bulbs from them. Surprising.

As far as the drivers side replacement goes, I just remove the battery cover and snorkle shroud and use an inspection mirror and flashlight to map out the parts and strategy I need and go for it. It helps if you have smaller hands for sure.

PDiesoiler

Veteran Member
PNW TDI Capital of the World; (ok maybe just the U
TDI
TDI-less
Yeah I just changed mine out after nearly 6 yrs and it made a huge difference. I didn't realize how dim they had gotten. I went with the "VisionPlus" or something like that. Also went around and replaced all the rears while I was at it...'bout $25 total. Glad I did. 2 were blackened and about to blow. Good lighting is very important in the NW.;)

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered Phillips Extreme Performance bulbs from the supplier in the UK that Pat mentioned.

I'll report back with results from new headlight lamps next week.