Age is catching up to the '11.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Hey all!

So the '11 in my sig is not my daily commuter and most of our weekend dart around town time is in my E-Golf so I don't get to ride in it too terribly often. I noticed over the past 6-8 months that the engine vibration and clunking on start was progressively getting worse, then I drove it the other day and wow the shocks are completely shot so thats something to plan for. Only 64k miles on the clock for the engine mounts is early but guessing they are probably dry rotted, sitting parked 1.5 years in the south and probably on asphalt probably did not do any of the rubber any sort of favors.

Not going to the dealer for this, there is a really good indy I found ~15-20 mins away that has very good reviews. I have an inquiry in on price and whether I can order my own parts from FCP Euro. Except for misc parts (stretch bolts) Its $149 for a Corteco dog dogbone and Rein engine and trans mount, the genuine VW/Audi parts are stupid expensive. Now I just need to see what they come back with on labor.

Now that the 2/unlimited CPO warranty has expired we are done with the dealer, they have had a staffing change and the service has gone downhill rapidly (trying to weasel out of CPO repairs on both my E-Golf and on the SW by pretending like we had no idea what the CPO warranty covered. Even went so far to tell us the emissions warranty on the '11 was expired which we knew was not correct - it was resolved quickly when we said "We will call VWoA to confirm".

Hopefully we won't see too many more $$$ repairs once the engine mounts and shocks are done. Was surprised to see there was no replacement interval for coolant, I want to say there was an interval back in the MKIV and MKV days like 10/120k or something along those lines.

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Jeez, good luck. Out of curiousity, what specifically made you notice the shocks being blown?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Jeez, good luck. Out of curiousity, what specifically made you notice the shocks being blown?
There is a good "test" section of road that I traverse regularly that has two bridges that are raised like a plateau - they are basically like _/---\_ but with the top dashes even with the ramps up (not quite that extreme but can't portray well via typical keyboard).

First bridge is on a straightaway, second is on a sweeping right curve. First bridge on straightaway after the suspension unloads there is additional bounce while everything settles back down. The second on a long sweeping curve the front end porpoises both vertically and laterally - I believe that is the right term. It basically feels uncontrolled bouncing - its not terrible as it settles down after an additional bounce or two but comparing to my E-Golf and what I remember from my departed '12 SW I don't remember additional bouncing on same bridges.

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
There is a good "test" section of road that I traverse regularly that has two bridges that are raised like a plateau - they are basically like _/---\_ but with the top dashes even with the ramps up (not quite that extreme but can't portray well via typical keyboard).

First bridge is on a straightaway, second is on a sweeping right curve. First bridge on straightaway after the suspension unloads there is additional bounce while everything settles back down. The second on a long sweeping curve the front end porpoises both vertically and laterally - I believe that is the right term. It basically feels uncontrolled bouncing - its not terrible as it settles down after an additional bounce or two but comparing to my E-Golf and what I remember from my departed '12 SW I don't remember additional bouncing on same bridges.
That's so odd. Is it possible that you're experiencing the dreaded shifting subframe?