aftermarket single din radio install: dash kit?

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
i have a sony single din radio id like to put into my 2001 jetta, i am told that you need to purchase a dash kit in order to install this. i have looked all over the place, hardware store, amazon and endless googling has only brought me dash kits for mk5's or a double din kit only. i believe the kit is supposed to come with a new cage and a new pocket, but i cant find anything anywhere, do you even need a dash kit to install this? how have you guys installed your single din radios? i apologize if this has been talked about before i tried searching but couldn't really find much.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If your car is stock single din already, all you need is the harness adapter. Use the tin box the new deck comes with and bend the tabs to hold it in place. I have a single din and the only thing holding mine in is the said box.
If you have a double din, you'll need a filler box for one of the din slots to make it a single din. That is the "kit" they're probably referring to.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm going to assume you're replacing a double DIN with a single DIN unit. There are 2 install methods, the DIN is much easier, uses a cage with tabs you bend to hold it in by friction. The ISO installs on rails screwed onto to the radio and dash. The pocket (or plate) fills the space left.
You might want to visit a salvage yard for some of these bits. Crutchfield also has this stuff, along with wire connects (just makes it easier).

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
im going from a single din to a single din, and i was told i need a new double din cage with a new pocket or else the radio will be folppy and not fit correctly

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You just need a standard cage and the pocket, at least in my 02 that's what I pulled out. I didn't use anything special to put the single DIN in. Just the cage that came with the HU.

It's up for sale right now on CL so you can see what I pulled out:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
im going from a single din to a single din, and i was told i need a new double din cage with a new pocket or else the radio will be folppy and not fit correctly
If you don't want to measure and get the kit you need (cage, faceplate?, wire harness?), take it to another radio shop. The good ones are wiz at this stuff. I don't understand how a double DIN would help, but I'm not seeing it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
i have a sony single din radio id like to put into my 2001 jetta, i am told that you need to purchase a dash kit in order to install this. i have looked all over the place, hardware store, amazon and endless googling has only brought me dash kits for mk5's or a double din kit only. i believe the kit is supposed to come with a new cage and a new pocket, but i cant find anything anywhere, do you even need a dash kit to install this? how have you guys installed your single din radios? i apologize if this has been talked about before i tried searching but couldn't really find much.
Not sure if this is it but check it out.
Should be one long line.