Adding Sirius to a 2007 Jetta Radio

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know the "best" way to add a sirius unit to an OEM deck that does not have the satelite option? I don't want to change out the deck, and I would prefer not to run it by using the FM transmitter. Do the factory decks have the ability to plug the unit into the audio out on the back?

I'm wondering if this is worth pulling the deck, or is this something that would need to be an FM modulator. Anyone ever done this? Also, how do you handle the antenna?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I think all the radios used in the MkV series cars have the ability to have an Aux-In jack. There's a retrofit kit for this available at the parts counter for about $30. Comes with the 3.5mm stereo jack and the necesary wiring to get the audio to the radio. I believe the radio also has to be coded to enable the aux-in jack. This will be the best quality and probably the cheapest way to get audio into the system.

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
dzcad90 said:
I think all the radios used in the MkV series cars have the ability to have an Aux-In jack. There's a retrofit kit for this available at the parts counter for about $30. Comes with the 3.5mm stereo jack and the necesary wiring to get the audio to the radio. I believe the radio also has to be coded to enable the aux-in jack. This will be the best quality and probably the cheapest way to get audio into the system.
Coded? Can this be done with Vag-Com?

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
you can buy the adapter through pie electronics and plugs in the back of radio and then you use the cd button to switch to sirius no vag-com is needed

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I'm considering selling my 6-disc radio and Sirius module out of my 2006 if you're interested..... pm me!

Newgene

Veteran Member
TDI
srptdi said:
you can buy the adapter through pie electronics and plugs in the back of radio and then you use the cd button to switch to sirius no vag-com is needed
I just checked out PIE electronics. However, I am unsure what I need to do this. Here is what I saw:

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=130&cat=Volkswagen

It appears I can connect the satelite to the deck with it by itself. However, how does it work? Does it replace the in-dash cd/mp3 player? If so, that would be bad. I am just wondering if it would use an FM station but feed through the antenna instead of transmit it over.

Anyone else add sirius to a factory, non-satelite radio?

SoMDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE BRM/JCR
Newgene said:
Anyone know the "best" way to add a sirius unit to an OEM deck that does not have the satelite option? I don't want to change out the deck, and I would prefer not to run it by using the FM transmitter. Do the factory decks have the ability to plug the unit into the audio out on the back?

I'm wondering if this is worth pulling the deck, or is this something that would need to be an FM modulator. Anyone ever done this? Also, how do you handle the antenna?
What Sirius unit? Factory? Aftermarket? This answer will determine your options.

If you have the factory Sirius which uses the CD changer connection on the back of the radio, then you can buy a cd changer y-adapter. Then you just press the CD button once or twice, depending which input you want. You would still need to get/make the harness for the Sirius unit.

I used one of those when I added my Phatbox to my 2006.5 Jetta. Unfortunately, I am unable to recall which vendor I bought it from.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Newgene said:
Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you. I replaced my crap oem radio with the premium 7. That part was easy and cheap (two of my favorite things btw :D ). I do not have the factory wiring for Sirius. The Rear connection on the Premium 7 I just installed has the white antenna plug and the big thick black plug that secures with the usual vw connection. It also has a grey plug similar to the white antenna plug next too the white plug (the crappy stock one had no such grey plug). Is this just an additional input plug? or what is it? My guess would be the Sirius antenna plugs in there. Other then the antenna what other connections to the Sirius module are needed (i.e. to power it and control it from the SAT button on the premium 7 radio)? No one seems to know the answer to this question. I posted these questions over on vortex as well.

So the bottom line is that I should get the factory sirius module and aftermarket antenna unit hopefully Saturday in the mail. After I figure this sh*t out :mad: on my own :p I will post it with pictures (or I'll post the pictures of a couple hundred 7.62x39 rounds going through the Mother f*cking Sirius module :D ). So hopefully, I'll have an answer for ya next week :) .

Harden

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, Black, 6-Speed Manual
About 8 years ago I installed a Portable XM radio into a friends car, it used an Antenna adapter, to intercept the FM feed from the car's antenna, and transmit (through the antenna) to the radio on a specified FM station. (it had a switch with 3 to chose from). When ever the XM Radio was on, it would switch input from the normal car antenna to the XM module. Sound quality was that of a CD, and a pretty quick installation. (unless you wish to hard wire the power for the unit)

For a VW, I don't know what type of antenna plug is needed, most likely need an adapter.

Newgene said:
I just checked out PIE electronics. However, I am unsure what I need to do this. Here is what I saw:

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=130&cat=Volkswagen

It appears I can connect the satelite to the deck with it by itself. However, how does it work? Does it replace the in-dash cd/mp3 player? If so, that would be bad. I am just wondering if it would use an FM station but feed through the antenna instead of transmit it over.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Harden said:
About 8 years ago I installed a Portable XM radio into a friends car, it used an Antenna adapter, to intercept the FM feed from the car's antenna, and transmit (through the antenna) to the radio on a specified FM station. (it had a switch with 3 to chose from). When ever the XM Radio was on, it would switch input from the normal car antenna to the XM module. Sound quality was that of a CD, and a pretty quick installation. (unless you wish to hard wire the power for the unit)

For a VW, I don't know what type of antenna plug is needed, most likely need an adapter.
The portable ones are easy. I installed a xm sportster on the MK4 (antenna line; hard wire to switched power and tape adapter to Monsoon). The problem with the factory unit is that a series of assumptions need to be made:

1. VW probably chose to wire the factory module through the comfort convenience module ---- or some stupid sh*t like that. What I need to know is how to power the factory module unit so it is controllable from the Premium 7 deck.

2. The antenna probably goes into the dark grey connector at the rear of the premium 7 (next to the white am/fm antenna). Most likely it has to go to the factory module and then the other jack on the factory module goes to the premium 7 dark grey connector. Again, a guess from what I read so far.

What is helpful is that there is a companion thread to wiring an input jack thread contemporaneous to this thread that helps identify some of the wires on the factory module. It will help when I actually get too see it with my hands. I probably am going to need some more ammunition before this mod is done :D .