Ad Blue Total Frustration Adaptive Coding 10a?

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I have a 2012 Touareg. Was pulling a trailer during a move and the Ad Blue light came on telling me I had 1,000 miles left. The next morning, I filled up the Ad Blue, and the light would not turn off. I had 400 miles left on my trip pulling the trailer the entire way so I continued on. I am not sure how VW counts miles but by the end of my 400 mile trip I was to the point of engine will not start. I know I was regenerating a lot since I was pulling at least 6,000 pounds the entire way.

Anyway, the videos I saw said to plug the VCDS. I went to Engine 01 and was supposed to go to Adaption 10a and reset channel 80. Well my VCDS only had 10 in the adaptation and it there was no channel 80 under adaptation 10. I tried resetting service indicators and still that damn light and warning was coming.

I was left in tears. I had the latest version of VCDS from rosstech, why is my VCDS different and where else would this be hiding? This was such a simple procedure to reset and yet I could never find it.

Ended up not shutting the truck off and leaving it in the dealer service bay. Of course it would not start the next morning, and they were able to reset it with their VCDS and charged me $200. Where else does this hide in VCDS?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
If you read the manual,it states to fill up ad blue, at least 11/2 guarts, THEN turn on the engine button ,DON'T start the engine , wait at least 10 sec( I did a minute).
Had this happen to me at the beginning of a 1400 mile trip and the warning disappeared.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Did you contact Ross-Tech for support?
Was this the first time ever that you had to refill your DEF? It's the same process every time, and you ALWAYS make sure that the warning goes away after to fill it..... sounds like you just did it incorrectly and didn't read your owners manual, etc.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Did you first try to ad the ad blue ? if so, how much did it take? Mine took 21/2 gallons and wasn't full. I say this because when you get the message of 1000 miles it means you're probably have less than half a tank. Tank holds 5 gals as I remember. Towing a heavy load soaks up a bunch of ad blue.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The tank is 18L (19qt)

owner's manual said:
AdBlue information
Please first read and note the introductory information and heed the WARNINGS
In vehicles with selective catalytic reduction, a special urea solution (AdBlue) is injected into the
exhaust system ahead of the catalytic converter in order to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions.
AdBlue is stored in a separate tank of the vehicle and should be refilled under normal driving
conditions during service according to the maintenance schedule. The AdBlue tank holds slightly less
than 5 gallons (20 liters).
AdBlue consumption depends on the individual driving style, system operating temperature, and
outside air temperature. Therefore in rare cases AdBlue may have to be refilled between service
events.
Starting with a remaining range of about 1500 miles (2400 km), a reminder to refill AdBlue is displayed
in the instrument cluster. If you ignore the last refill reminder, it is impossible to start the engine again
after it is switched off
Volkswagen recommends that you have the AdBlue tank refilled by an authorized Volkswagen dealer
or an authorized Volkswagen Service Facility. If no authorized Volkswagen dealer or authorized
Volkswagen Service Facility or other qualified workshop is available, you should refill at least 1.5
gallons (5.7 liters) of AdBlue (3 AdBlue bottles). Refill only the type of AdBlue that Volkswagen has
explicitly approved for your vehicle.
If warning lights ~ and d both come on together, there is a malfunction. Volkswagen recommends that
you take the vehicle to the closest qualified workshop.
AdBlue® is a registered trademark of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) in the
United States, Germany, the European Union and in other countries.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
And your dealer sure as sh!t shouldn't have charged you anything. According to the settlement, they are supposed to fill you up with urea for FREE. I'd go back down there and demand my money back, just for SPITE.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
You need a new dealer, it's the only way they learn a lesson. If they don't learn a lesson they die a slow death of business.
I am going to have a discussion with my dealer not filling up my tank when they did a service on oil and other needed service. They did add some Ab blue but not filled up which caused my warning before my trip. I think the "fix" is making the system use more fluid.
I will be carrying fluid on any extended trips from now on.

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Did you first try to ad the ad blue ? if so, how much did it take? Mine took 21/2 gallons and wasn't full. I say this because when you get the message of 1000 miles it means you're probably

Yes I filled the ad blue, it took the entire 3 gallon bucket. I went back and bought another, filled it till it overflowed but the light would not recognize that it was full.

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I tried this too. But my main concern is that I read and saw videos to go to the engine module, then select 10 adaption, find channel 80 and reset. It took 90 seconds. I went through my vcds, when I went to engine my adaption was 10a. There was no finding of channel 80. I could not find it anywhere and I am pissed because something so easy turned into a nightmare for me. 1) why did the truck not realize the tank is full. 2) why would vcds be different. Other than I am cursed and nothing can ever be easy.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I filled the ad blue, it took the entire 3 gallon bucket. I went back and bought another, filled it till it overflowed but the light would not recognize that it was full.
Did you read your manual?

owner's manual said:
Refilling AdBlue
Only use Volkswagen-approved AdBlue that meets ISO 22241-1 requirements. Only use
original packaging.
􀁸 Read and heed the information provided by the AdBlue refill manufacturer ⇒
􀁸 Note the expiration date.
􀁸 Unscrew the cap of the refill container.
􀁸 Vertically insert the neck of the refill container (6) into the tank filler neck and turn clockwise to
hand-tighten.
􀁸 Press the refill container down into the tank filler neck and hold it there.
􀁸 Add at least 1.5 gallons (5.7 liters) of AdBlue which is 3 refill bottles. Adding a smaller
amount is not sufficient.
􀁸 Wait until the contents of the refill container has flowed into the AdBlue tank. Do not squeeze or
damage the refill container!
􀁸 Unscrew the refill container counterclockwise and lift it out CARefully ⇒ .
􀁸 AdBlue stops flowing from the refill bottle when the AdBlue tank is completely full.
Closing the fuel filler neck
􀁸 Screw in the fuel filler neck cap (5) clockwise until the cap locks into place.
􀁸 Put the plug ⇒ fig. 279 (4) back in the spare wheel recess and make certain it is properly placed
and secure.
􀁸 Put the collapsible spare tire (2) back in the spare wheel recess and secure it with the fastening
screw (3) and washer.
􀁸 Unhook the luggage compartment floor panel (1) and fold down or, if you have a reversible
luggage compartment floor panel, put this back in
Things to do before driving again
􀁸 After refilling, switch on only the ignition.
􀁸 Leave the ignition switched on for at least 30 seconds so that system can detect the refill.
􀁸 Do not start the engine for 30 seconds!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Has anyone done the refill correctly and not been able to reset the Adblue count down? I would like to hear if they had the problem continue.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had fits with mine a few months ago. Filled up the AdBlue before I went on a long trip and 100 miles in the AD Blue system failure light comes on, 200 miles to no start. Drove it 900 miles to my destination straight through without shutting it off. Had VagCom mailed to me where I searched the forums for a way to clear the code. I was able to clear it enough to get it started and return. After reading through the VC forums more, I tried to run some tests on the injector. Turns out some teeny little piece of debris ended up in the injector. I reset the system and haven't had a problem since.

I had no idea that you are supposed to let it sit for 30 seconds key on engine off after a refill. I suspected that was my problem but it turned out to be something else entirely. The system seems to be prone to problems, thats for sure.

Capt.Aidan

TDI
2015 Touareg 3.0 TDI Exec
I had fits with mine a few months ago. Filled up the AdBlue before I went on a long trip and 100 miles in the AD Blue system failure light comes on, 200 miles to no start. Drove it 900 miles to my destination straight through without shutting it off. Had VagCom mailed to me where I searched the forums for a way to clear the code. I was able to clear it enough to get it started and return. After reading through the VC forums more, I tried to run some tests on the injector. Turns out some teeny little piece of debris ended up in the injector. I reset the system and haven't had a problem since.

I had no idea that you are supposed to let it sit for 30 seconds key on engine off after a refill. I suspected that was my problem but it turned out to be something else entirely. The system seems to be prone to problems, thats for sure.
What did this end up being for you? My '15 Treg throws a CEL followed by AdBlue Countdown everytime it is topped up by me or the dealer following all procedures correctly. Curious to see what is caused this issue for you.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ended up removing and cleaning the AdBlue injector and resetting the system with VagCom. Problem went away then I sold the car 10k later.

Capt.Aidan

TDI
2015 Touareg 3.0 TDI Exec
I ended up removing and cleaning the AdBlue injector and resetting the system with VagCom. Problem went away then I sold the car 10k later.
My independent mechanic just did that this last time it's happened. Don't think the dealership ever did this the last 5+ times it's happened. Hope this is the fix

BB Cragon

TDI
Golf Sportwagen and Passat 2015
And your dealer sure as sh!t shouldn't have charged you anything. According to the settlement, they are supposed to fill you up with urea for FREE. I'd go back down there and demand my money back, just for SPITE.
Labor AND materials free or just labor?