Ac going wacky

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
It hot as hell around here lately and my wifes Jettas Ac is messing up, it blows cold for a while then hot for a while back and forth. So I put a pressure gauge on it and its way over pressured when it blows hot and then the pressure drops and it finnally blows cool, Sounds like some sort of regulator has gone out. I would appreciate anyones help, it was 114 today so no ac sucks. Thanks Trap

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
My buddys 01 jetta did this when his compressor started going out. take it to a shop and have your pressures and refrigerant levels checked.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My buddys 01 jetta did this when his compressor started going out. take it to a shop and have your pressures and refrigerant levels checked.
ME! I had the same symptoms on my 2001. First thing I did was go to walmart and buy a recharge can. Hooked it up and the little pressure guage on the can was PEGGED - - scared me.:eek:

The AC shop I took it to said the seals were desintegrating in the compressor and periodically clogging the expansion valve. Parts to fix were: compressor, evaporator, expansion valve, refrigerant. (reuse the condenser)

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
Dang I didnt need to hear that. Im about to move and now I might be looking a a few hundred dollars in parts? I need to check my warrenty. I thought I bought an extended one?

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
DieselTrap said:
Dang I didnt need to hear that. Im about to move and now I might be looking a a few hundred dollars in parts? I need to check my warrenty. I thought I bought an extended one?
Yes definitely check your warranty! If you have to pay for the repairs out of pocket, I suggest ordering the parts online. (of course get a diagnose/estimate from a local shop first) That way all you need the A/C shop for is to charge up the new system. Sorry to hear you're going through what I did last summer... Very frustrating when it works ICE COLD for awhile, then hot and muggy:(

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
And it will likely be more than just a couple of hundred bucks. Also, if you have something that broke apart (like seals), best to replace the condenser as well to avoid leftovers from daming the new parts installed.

It's also a very good idea to run the A/C at least once a month even if you don't need to...this lubricates the seals and such and should extend the life of the compressor and related components.

I feel your pain though....the wife and I just had to move unexpectedly after a flood and mold ordeal. It really stinks not having A/C when it is that hot.

Good luck.