AC evaporator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus
Has anyone here replaced their evaporator? Dealer says that is the source of the refrigerant leak and want 2500 to replace it. Just curious how difficult it is to do

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Has anyone here replaced their evaporator? Dealer says that is the source of the refrigerant leak and want 2500 to replace it. Just curious how difficult it is to do
And 2500 is the I don't want to do it cost. Is he sure it's the core and not the expansion valve?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Lol. Go spend $150 on a sniffer and find out yourself. For 2+ grand lol
99% of all leaks are from flexible connections and adaption ports ( the valves)
A condenser lol no. Not unless it was defective (very unlikely) or in a crash.

TDI
It was in a crash and worked fine before the crash. I ran UV dye through it and couldn’t find any leaks under the hood so we took it in for diagnosis. Seemed odd to me that they said it was the evaporator. There are some new techs and service writers at the dealer we use and I am not a fan. The old guys were way better.
I thought I saw somewhere that you didn’t have to pull the dash on the MKVI, only the previous generations. Haven’t been able to find anything that says either way. I know the heater core can be done without pulling the dash, and am thinking it may be along the same lines on the passenger side for the evaporator. May have to look into a Haynes manual.

TDI
So, I replaced the expansion valve today and the refrigerant leaked out in a couple hours. Ran dye through again and found it coming out through the box for the evaporator. Looks like I’m pulling the dash😔