AC Compressor Snap Ring Pliers Recommendation?

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I'm in the middle of attempting to change the ac clutch/pulley/bearing without removing the compressor from the car. My cheap-o straight external snap ring pliers are not up to the task so I am looking for suggestions on what pair(s) to purchase. The outer ring is an external ring, but I read that there is an internal one in there as well.

Should I get a 45 degree or 90 degree pair? Is there a brand or model that has long enough nose to get down into that space? Hoping to order something on Amazon today so I can finish the job this weekend.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I did one on a friends Mk4 one time without advance notice so I had to use what I had available which was a 90 degree one that was too small. I do remember it being a PITA, but I was able to get it.

Dropping the compressor is really not that difficult (and in hind sight that's what I should have done), just two bolts and it drops down where you can work on it easily.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions like "buy this tool and it'll work perfect".

Good luck!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I found that the long 90 degree ones work great.
I highly recommend dropping the compressor, this way you can see the internal snap ring. Just remember you need to press back the one insert that moves when the compressor is dropped.
The compressor is a pain to remove because of a tight fit between the insert, but once you press the insert in a little it goes back together easily.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Oh - No need to disconnect the hoses, there's enough play in them, just don't let the compressor hang by the hoses. You may need a wire or stand to hold it up if you have to walk away for any reason. Just remove the two bolts, pry the compressor out with a prybar. While it's out, take hammer and tap the steel tube toward the center of the car just a little bit like csstevej mentioned and it almost falls back together it's so easy.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Years ago when I had less tools than I do today I heated and bent a pair of needle nose pliers 90 deg and ground the tips so they are round.
Worked great, still my go to tool for this job today.