A little guidance needed

BCKCX2

TDI
2002 Jetta
My 02 Jetta TDI was totaled Monday in a rear impact so I am now in the market for a replacement. I found a 05 Passat TDI auto for sale locally. 160k miles very good shape inside and out one owner car. TB and water pump and all pulleys were changed at 135k miles and the local VW dealer with all documentation seen by me. He is asking $6750 for the car. What areas of concern should I check on this model year? Thanx

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I may get flamed for this, but I would run away. Balance shaft chain and tensioner, camshafts (not super common but they do fail), glow plug issues (same as other PDs), fluid filled engine mounts, relatively fragile transmission, complex alloy suspension (8 control arms), mediocre fuel economy compared to your ALH.

That's a good price, but if the above work hasn't been done plan on spending $3-5K on the car to get it up to snuff. And then you'll get 30s in town and low 40s on trips if you're careful.

They're nice comfortable, fairly quick cars, but expensive to maintain. I'd look for a good MKIV ALH or BEW, or a MKV PD car instead.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
OK, I'll volunteer.

Indigo, thanks, we needed that.

BUT, I have an eight year old car that can haul or pull a heck of a lot, is extremely comfortable at all times, but the faster the better, and for the style and amount it pulls, is more than decent on fuel needs. Now that I've passed 150,000 miles, I feel I'm in my "golden years" with my car. Maybe not to infinity and beyond, but we are going to find out.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...They're nice comfortable, fairly quick cars, but expensive to maintain...
Not a flame, IBW, but the only real "expensive" project on our wagon so far has been the geared BSM upgrade. Love the ride, love the handling, love the room, especially love the RC2 and I can still get 40+ MPG on long trips @ 5 MPH over the speed limit.

BCKCX2

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanx auntulna. Im not affraid of maintance and repair as my MKIV started life as a auto and I swapped it to a 5 speed on jack stands in the driveway. I was thinking way not go a little bigger now that the jetta is dead.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
TheB5.5 blows away the A4 and A5 in size, comfort and ride. IB is close on money spent but once you have taken care of BSM with a delete or geared BSM you have the major issue addressed. With 160k you can expect any car to have issues with auto tranny at some point which would be a good time to swap to a manual. Then there is no comparison to a Jetta. I consistently get 35/45+ with my manual and deleted car that has 310k+ miles. It is a blast to drive.

BCKCX2

TDI
2002 Jetta
Great to hear Thanx tips. I defently want to swap it to a manual. Ill have to find a good how to and start sourcing parts.

Mechnurse

Veteran Member
TDI
97/2K/05/15 Passat 06 Jetta TDI
I love my B5.5 TDI and I've had almost all the mods done just no BSM delete, Yet! Just trying to figure out how to get it away from the wife:rolleyes: I have one of the only Valve Body mods I have seen and she shifts with authority. Just change your fluids and drive!