A few newbie questions about my UK spec TDI

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Hi, I have a UK spec Golf TDI PD 100bhp,

What turbocharger is in my car? Is it the Garrett VNT-15 that is used in the US 90bhp TDI's?

What kind of clutch does my car have? Same as US or a different one?

If i chip my car with UPsolute i will have 133hp/~220lbs/ft, this is a more significant increase than the 90hp -> 110hp that the US cars undergoe, my question is: Will my car be more prone to clutch slip than the 90hp cars? As the power/torque increase is more and we have colder weather over here...Can anyone recommend a replacement clutch if this is the case?

Thanks in advance...
/Ben

Fabia TDi

TDI
Fabia vRS
Yes, its the VNT-15 in the PD 100. I didnt know that the US 90hp TDi has a VNT turbo. I'm pretty sure the uk version of the 90 had a fixed geometry turbo, the VNT being introduced in the 110.

As far as clutch slippage is concerned i haven't experienced any problems with my pd 100 although i'm using a tuning box as opposed to a chip and its not a golf.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Colder weather where??? Minnesota, USA ranged from -22 to +10 degrees this morning.

My Golf TDI, ALH engine code mit Upsolute, puts out 117-119 hp and about 200ft-lbs torque. No clutch slip for me, but I avoid 100% throttle until I am past 2300 rpm most of the time. If you do this you avoid the nasty torque peak at 1900 rpm and the clutch thanks you.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Thanks for the replys

Fabia how much bhp/torque increase do you get with your tuning box? and which one do you have?

Fabia TDi

TDI
Fabia vRS
BenjaminTDIPD
My tuning box is from Bromleys (but its made by Kuberl) www.bromleystuning.com
Quoted power gains are 120bhp and 280nm or 207lbs/ft.

I bought it as i had read several reviews in diesel car magazine, where the boxes had been tried in several different vehicles with good power gains.....

By the way the quoted power gains are usually on the conservative side. I will get my car tested on a rolling road when i receive the K&N filter i have ordered....