A/C Condenser Install...Eaiser said then done?

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5-spd, Indigo Blue
Unfortunately, some sort of road debris impacted my a/c condenser through the lower front grill on my 03 TDI Wagon. The impact produced a tiny pin-sized hole that allowed all my R134a to escape...

I've been told by a number of automotive a/c shops that this tiny hole cannot be repaired, and that I'll have to get the a/c condenser replaced.
The repair/replacement quotes I've received from various a/c shops and VW dealerships range from around $500 to $800...
...Yikes!

Has anyone replaced the a/c condenser themselves?

I'm wondering if this is an 'easy' do-it-yourself project, or something best left to a VW dealership or a/c speciality shop?
If I can save myself hundreds of dollars by buying an a/c condensor and installing it myself, I'd rather go that route.
I figure I could aquire a new or used a/c condenser, a couple new o-rings, and 750 g's of R134a for around $200 to $300 (Maybe less...
)

Any advice, hints, tricks or tips would be appreciated...

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Don't know about the r/r of the condensor (although I suppose if you just remove the bumper, access should be easy), but you will need to replace the dryer (because the system will be open to the atmosphere) and then have a professional shop pump down the system and fill it with the correct amount of oil/R134a.

-Andy

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. Since the hole in the condenser is so small, I'm wondering if it can be welded closed? I know the thin-walled aluminum might be a challenge...Perhaps worth a try? The DIY replacement of the a/c condenser might be a more difficult task, especially since the dryer might need replacing as well (I see $$$ the more I look...lol)

DaveGaunt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Blue
As Chemboy said, you will need a reciver/dryer (About $50.00?) then you need a vaccume pump to evactuate the system before the recharge. Suggest you Re-Re the condensor and receiver/dryer, then take the car to an A/C shop for the evac and re-charge. I think you can forget welding something that small and thin, but my wife says I'm wrong all the time.

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
Another vote for the r/r of the condenser and dryer...Darn.
I think welding an a/c condenser fin/tube would be similar to welding the side of a beer can, only not as much fun...lol.
Maybe superglue will fill that pin hole (Just kidding...I think...I hope). My g/f says I'm wrong only 50% of the time, but I think she's half nuts...So I'm not sure where that leaves me...lol