A-4 Jetta wagon rear wiper not shutting off

Fred Stern

TDI
1999.5 Jetta,2001 Jetta,2003 Jetta Wagon
My wiper switch is not shutting off the rear wiper on my 03 Jetta wagon. I'm not real sharp with the new style schematics in the Bentley shop manual. I think I see the delay symbol in the rear wiper motor, so I assume that's not where the problem lies. I can turn the rear wiper off and it just keeps working with its time delay operational. Is there a relay associated with the rear wiper that I should check? Or is the problem in the stalk switch. And if the problem is in the switch, how much of a pain is it to replace it?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
for what its worth I've had two problems that caused this....
1) leaking ww fluid shorted out rear wiper motor
2) wire harness in rubber boot between body and rear hatch was damaged

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I bet it's the wiper stalk itself.

When it wears it doesn't go back to its proper resting position and the rear wiper won't turn off. You can try to wiggle the stalk, move it a little bit toward the ON position for the rear wiper, if it works (turns the wiper off) you need to take the stalk out and try to fix it or just replace it, they are quite cheap from the dealer.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Don't forget the big double relay, I think it's maybe 377 but not sure, it deals with all the wiper stuff. When my relay went bad the fronts wouldn't switch off but swapping the relay cured it.

I'd recommend borrowing one from another car to try though as they're quite pricey.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
How involved is the stalk switch replacement, do I pull the steering wheel and all to access?
If you can get hold of a spare stalk then you can just pull the steering column trims off and unplug the stalk, plug in the new one and test it.

If you need to replace it then yeh, steering wheel needs to come off.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Seatman , where is the 377 relay located?? All of a sudden my front wipers wont turn off , and changing a relay sounds a lot less aggravation than dismantling the steering column.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
The wiper relay is under the steering column. Need to remove the two panels under the steering column. It only takes a few minutes to replace the relay