99.5 Jetta 188k Miles Cam Follower failure; Advice what to do next.

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, I currently own a 05 Golf TDI and my 99.5 Jetta TDI that recently broke down.. :(
I'm trying to get the Jetta to be my daily airport car, and keep my Golf for a weekend driver. I stopped driving the Golf because the PD cam is wearing and I therefore started driving the Jetta until I replaced the cam on the Golf. Never was I expecting the Jetta cam to fail the same as how I was afraid of the Golf cam failing!
I pretty much got the Jetta from the original owner with all maintenance receipts since new, I had great confidence in the car because it ran great and I could get 800+ miles to a tank. I always shifted at 1800-2500rpm and I always ran Lubro Moly 505.1 spec oil.
A couple weeks ago, cruising the back roads at 60mph, the engine lost loads of power and the car started shuddering, what the... I got the car to my work and pulled the valve cover and found broken metal pieces from one of the cam followers.
My questions are, what caused this to happen? Did the valve hit the piston causing the cam follower to break into pieces? Or did the follower structurally fail?
I talked to an auto mechanic and he said to just pull the cam and pull the rest of the follower out, smooth out the gouged edges and throw a new set of cam followers in the head and see if it runs before I invest in a new head to save money, but I do not want to risk ruining the engine nor do I really want the head to fail in any other way when driving it. But then again I'm curious to see if this quick fix will be good to commute to and from work which is 50 miles a day to save the $1100+ on a new OEM head

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The difference between the AHU cam and the BEW cam is cost to purchase a repacement. I don't think there's any difference in life expectation.
My 2005 PD Passat BHW cam was wearing at 175,000 miles and I replaced it, grumbling and cursing the short lifespan.
My 1996, 1997, and 1998 Passats and Jetta cams need to be replaced at 175,000 miles but I was not upset as I figured that was a good amount of time.

For about $600 your head can be re-worked. Contact Fred's member Franko6

<edit> DO NOT just put followers in. The valve head may have a microfracture at the stem. There are numerous reports of the valve failing hundreds of miles after just new followers and cams are installed. With that failure the piston is damaged and maybe the rods, in addition to the whole head ordeal again. Spend the extra for new valves, seals, and guides this time rather than risk another, more catastrophic, failure.<end>

Last edited:

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
BEW/BHW/BRM cams are known to fail. ALH/AHU cams are very rare for this to happen when serviced properly.

I would pull the head and replace that valve.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
how many miles on that Jetta.
It may be best to ship the head to Franko6 for a rebuild

Rcbamm

TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW SOLD. 2015 Golf TDI VW boughtback. Own: 15 GSW TDI. 99.5 Jetta TDI
188k miles on the engine.

Since you guys are recommending me NOT to replace only the follows, I think I'm gonna just get the Kolbenschmidt OEM complete head from boraparts.com. I would rather pay a little but more for new than to rebuild my head.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Start shifting higher, 1800rpm is lugging it plain and simple. Not good for anything under the hood.

Rcbamm

TDI
Start shifting higher, 1800rpm is lugging it plain and simple. Not good for anything under

Driving normally I usually shift 1-4 around 2500rpm then from 4th to 5th it's usually around 1800-2000 because I usually stop accelerating at 60mph. (Back roads, no highways)

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
When was the timing belt done? And don't take that car anywhere near that mechanic again.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Ha, lugging the engine or shifting too early has nothing to do with this engine failing. This engine has no problems shifting at 2000rpm - aslong as your not going uphill or really lugging it with full throttle.

Under normal driving I try to shift at or before 2000rpm at all times, unless accelerating hard or passing. 410k km and counting.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
how many miles on that Jetta.
It may be best to ship the head to Franko6 for a rebuild
There are plenty of other shops all over the country that can fix these heads. Without shipping it. I'd bet there is one withing 20 miles of pretty much anyone in a metro area. These heads are not rocket science...

The damage was a piston strike from something. Either right then or in the recent past. Perhaps at the last TB change? Loot at the dent in the bottom side of the lifter face.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Lugging will have everything do with an engine failing. You are asking for power below the applicable rpm range an engine is designed to produce it. The stress on components can certainly cause failure. Granted it would not be immediate but it is possible. Obviously as Jason noted this is not the case.

As he stated he shifts at 2500rpm until he hits 5th, that is acceptable. I never shifted any lower than 2500rpm when I had a VE, mostly between 2500-3000. I still pulled excellent fuel economy. I also force the automatic to shift higher because it will get lost and try in shift into 5th at 40mph which isn't optimal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
BEW/BHW/BRM cams are known to fail. ALH/AHU cams are very rare for this to happen when serviced properly.
Not true. Cams are normal wear items on rotary pump TDIs as Lug_Nut has noted, especially in '01s.

Rcbamm

TDI
I boroscoped the pistons last night thru thr glowplug hole, couldnt spot any valve strike, had my co worker who is an IA aircraft inspector take a look at the cyliners and pistons and he said the engine looks perfect inside.

so I just spent $1440 for the Kolbenschmidt head, gaskets, bolts and deluxe TB kit from Aaron at boraparts.com. He hooked me up with a discount and free shipping.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
When you pull the head you will see where the valve hit the piston by where the carbon is imprinted on the piston by the valve.

Rcbamm

TDI
When you pull the head you will see where the valve hit the piston by where the carbon is imprinted on the piston by the valve.
I'm curious to see this. Looking thru the boroscope I couldn't spot any imprints, but we'll see to the naked eye.

So what do you guys think caused this to happen? Jumped timing belt? The engine ran after the valve broke, so I would assume the timing belt didn't strip. The portion of the timing belt that I can see looks find.

Rcbamm

TDI
Started taking it apart the other night.

Aaron got my order shipped out even though he has been sick (thanks Aaron! Praying you feel better man)

Can't wait to perform this task :) UPS tracking says Friday parts will be here

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nice shop I see your a corporate A/C mech. Are you at an FBO or company? I'm located in TEB?

Rcbamm

TDI
Nice shop I see your a corporate A/C mech. Are you at an FBO or company? I'm located in TEB?
I work for a company called Precision Jet at KSUA. I love it here, great boss and great co workers. Great airport

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm envious of your temp right now 76F, up here its a balmy 22F, warmest it's been all week :).

Rcbamm

TDI
I'm envious of your temp right now 76F, up here its a balmy 22F, warmest it's been all week :).
Haha yep it's nice and cool out today! Not a cloud in the sky :)