96 Passat TDI wagon $4500 OBO in Shelton CT

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Bought Sept 09 from a couple in MA. It was my first TDI. My intent was to fix it up with the help of TDI club and convert it to run on WVO. I have been running WVO successfully since 2005 with over 250k miles total on 3 different IDI diesels (Peugeot, Mercedes and a VW Jetta IDI) with no engine related WVO problems, pretty good track record? I've been working on the 96 Passat over the last 3 years but have finally decided against converting it to WVO because of the more complex TDI engine that may not be as suitable for WVO as the IDI's and thus the reason I am selling it. I think many here will agree that is a good decision.

Since owning the Passat, I have driven a total of about 5k miles. Why so little? I have 3 other cars registered, 2 of them run on WVO and I drive them because the fuel is almost free! So the Passat got driven very little, and never on WVO. It currently has under 160K on the ODO.

My plan was to get it into good shape mechanically and cosmetically. Most of the work done has been just about all mechanical.

The good:

-Working AC- blows cold, I replaced the leaky condenser with a new one and evacuated and recharged with 134A.
-Engine starts easily and runs with lot's of pep
-new Bosch injector nozzles (from idparts) 3k miles ago
-There are no leaks of any kind
-New Continental timing belt and tensioner 5k miles ago. Timing set exactly in the middle of the graph with VCDS ,per spec.
-New Bilstein TC rear shocks 5k miles ago
-New serpentine belt 5K miles ago
-New group 49 battery one year ago
-New N75 5k miles ago
-New glow plugs 5k miles ago
-New G12 pink coolant 5k miles ago
-New power steering fluid 5k miles ago (comes in a green can) CH11?
-New Redline MTL fluid in tranny 5k miles ago

-Wireless remote door lock system added (banjo FOB). All door locks work.
-All power windows go up and down

-4 new Michelin 19570R14 X-radials 5k miles ago
-BK ECU -no fault codes
-cluster from a gasser B4 GLX converted to diesel by Derek White- Odometer set to reflect true mileage
-EGR delete- added resistor no fault code
-5th injector delete- added resistors- no fault code
-Baldwin fuel filter, relocated for easy access with clear nylon supply and -return lines for instant check for bubbles in fuel.
-Clear injector return lines.
-Boost gauge
- R&R 2 brake lines at right rear caliper with Cunifer alloy lines (won't rust). Brakes all work and stop well.
-Charging and cooling system works fine
-Has a great sounding Alpine audio system from PO. I think the bill was like $1500.
Did I forget anything? If so I will update.

The bad:

Some minor rust spots on door corners and small dings here and there.
I did replace the R rear door, which is a different shade of black but you can't tell unless you look closely.

Suitcase muffler fell off so would need some exhaust work.

At cold start, when the ambient temp is below30 to 40F, it's smokes for a minute before clearing up. I've done a lot of work to solve it but have been unsuccessful- which includes new glow plugs, new nozzles, timing adjustment. I think it is the valve stem seals. I bought a set of valve stem seals from idparts but have not installed them. They will be included. It does not smoke now in the summer (from a cold start).

I have tried to describe the vehicle as best I can. If you have any questions, please ask. Serious inquiry only.

Last edited:

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Nice. Was going to ask where and price, but I finally looked at the title. Is it ready to test drive?

And, is that your Waldorf school sticker? Just curious, my son just finished Waldorf elementary.
Jerry

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Nice. Was going to ask where and price, but I finally looked at the title. Is it ready to test drive?

And, is that your Waldorf school sticker? Just curious, my son just finished Waldorf elementary.
Jerry
The Waldorf sticker is from the PO.

I still have to put plates and insurance on it, otherwise it is ready to test drive. I have to put the knee bar and other trim pieces back and vacuum/ clean/wash/wax and it should look nicer.

All the mods I've done is to make it easier to access and service. Things such as relocating and replacing the fuel filter can be undone if going back to stock is desired. I took great care when making the mods so they can be reversed by saving all the bits and pieces which have not been mutilated, and they will be included. If you look at the engine bay pic, the timing cover can be removed to inspect the belt much much quicker than stock.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
I put all the trims back and cleaned the interior. It's looking sweet and I'd hate to see it go. Here's more pics. It has less miles than I said earlier. I don't think I've filled the tank more than 4 or 5 times during my ownership.