'96 B4 TDI low power, won't rev.

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
I've had the problem for a while, and replaced the mass airflow meter with a reman from the parts house (both were Pierburg), and had the intake cleaned, and all the rubber air hoses replaced, but it still won't rev past 2500, and its quite slow to get there. My local shop ran out of ideas (no codes, clean manifold, etc.), said the turbo was boosting, a bit, then pressure levels off. I can hear it spool up a bit too. So I took it to VW dealer. Their diagnosis was bad air flow meter, but of course they did not have one. Dealer says it runs better with Mass flow meter unplugged.

On top of that, I'm taking a trip this weekend, so I need to do something real soon. Please advise.--george

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
When was the fuel filter last changed? Get fuel from a strange place lately?

When was the air filter last changed?

Any smoke? How many miles?

I've heard that the B4 does not respond to the "unplug the MAF and see if it's better" test.

I doubt a MAF would prevent it from going over 2500 rpm. It might take a while, but it should rev up to at least 4K with a bad or missing MAF.

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta
It could be the injection pump is running too lean and your not getting enough fuel. You can check and adjust this with a VagCom but it may take moving the head of the pump to get enough fuel. Search for "Hammer Mod."