75X power stud

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
I've done a search but can't seem to find out how much current the 75X stud can provide. Looking to tap it for a 2 meter mobile ham radio that is rated at 75 watts. If not a good solution, will shoot straight to the battery...but I like the switched feature if the 75X can deliver 15 amps without much sweat.
Thanks in advance!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I've done a search but can't seem to find out how much current the 75X stud can provide. Looking to tap it for a 2 meter mobile ham radio that is rated at 75 watts. If not a good solution, will shoot straight to the battery...but I like the switched feature if the 75X can deliver 15 amps without much sweat.
Thanks in advance!

Your radio (FT-2900R?) is fused at 15 amps and will actually draw just a little less when transmitting and only 1 or 2 amps on receive.

IMO, you are good to go using the 75X stud. You can use the 12 gauge wires that came with the radio taking care to leave all the (Yaesu)factory supplied radio fuses in line.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...00FF03ECF2B6382250&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Bill

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, an FT-2900r! Here's another one for you.... where do you suggest I find a ground for the negative (also fused) terminal?

I just installed a 5/8 wave on the trunk lip...didn't want to drill holes (I know, I know). At any rate, I'm one connection away from firing it up. I'm hoping to achieve good simple ranges (50 mi+) using the setup in the DFW (flat) area.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The truck lip mount is perfectly fine. I put them on the drivers' side instead of the front of the trunk lid so that the trunk can be fully opened.
As for the ground, any bolt that goes to the body will do fine. 50 miles TO a repeater is doable! Drive it up Pikes Peak, CO. and see how you can go on simplex....

Bill

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that's exactly what I did. Driver's side trunk lip mount with Hustler SF-2 5/8 wave. Was surprised to achieve a 1.2 SWR at center of band without much effort. Have the radio in the dash cubby hole (with the actual cubby box removed), wired it up and found the so-called dash ground. Seems to work FB from the driveway :) . Oh, and I meant "simplex," not "simple."

Over the next few days I'll find a way to clean up the looks of the cubby hole area. No RFI interference (yet) to other car functions, which was a concern of mine.

Thanks again and 73's.

Bill (also)

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd have no issue with connecting this to the 75x stud either. Just be sure the strip fuses on the top of the battery are in good shape :cool:

-J

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Hooked my Icom V8000 to it and just grabbed the nearest structural ground I could find under the panel. Wiring is temporary until I figure out how to mount the radio and then I'll dress it in nicely.

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hooked my Icom V8000 to it and just grabbed the nearest structural ground I could find under the panel. Wiring is temporary until I figure out how to mount the radio and then I'll dress it in nicely.
I've heard the V8000 is a great radio. Have you considered mounting in the cubby hole? I tried mine out on the sides of the center console but it rubbed my leg on the driver's side and just "stuck out" too much on the passenger side.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
No cubby hole on the bug. Right now, it just lays up agains the passenger side of the console. I looked at mounting it under the center console switches, but in their infinite wisdom, the cover is both stepped and curved. I haven't really figured out what to do yet. So far, I think I'm the only ham in a bug on here. Most of the ones I now of, are running Jettas and Golfs.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
No cubby hole on the bug. Right now, it just lays up agains the passenger side of the console. I looked at mounting it under the center console switches, but in their infinite wisdom, the cover is both stepped and curved. I haven't really figured out what to do yet. So far, I think I'm the only ham in a bug on here. Most of the ones I now of, are running Jettas and Golfs.
Old post but add another ham with a bug. This weekend I just drilled the roof for an NMO mount, have a 19" tram dual band antenna on there. Temporarily ran the coax to the passenger footwell. Not sure where I'm going mount my radio either - the interior of the bug is poor for mounting a radio. Dashboard would be perfect other than the radio would be in the sun.

Dave
ai6vx