700 Mile club Who's in?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm short so I don't have to kneel. But I have gotten some funny looks from people wondering why I'm peering down the fuel filler. And you're right about consistency. I always fill every car so I can see clear fuel in the neck. As a result my FE calculations are pretty much on target.

BTW, you can pump your own diesel in NJ. You just have to convince the fuel station attendant that the law is different for diesel than gasoline.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
How are you getting 15+ gallons? Most I could get in mine was 13 gallons and it was really close to running out.
I did a little excitement at work last month. I was able to shoe horn 20.75 gallons into a MkV fuel tank. All be it that was on the ground and I had the advantage of "burping" every last air bubble out.

I have driven to the station and pumped 17.3 gallons into my MkIV Golf. Did the same feat with a Beetle at PDI once. That is about the lowest I would ever push it.

I have a theory that if I were able to get a vent pipe into the very top recesses of the tank I could get 18 or 19 usable gallons in there. But at that point you have no expansion volume and would HAVE TO use a gallon or two.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

bigdog0u81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
Made it to 701 on the first fill up since removing the vent valve. It took 14.25 gallons I filled up right when the light came on. Ran it really low, the light came on at 665. Does anyone know how much fuel is left at that point?

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I estimate 1.5 to 2 gallons left when the light comes on. My 800 mile tank took 16.042 gallons when I topped it off. You probably had a gallon+ more available assuming you filled all the way up the neck.

That extra 50+ miles is a nice safety net for road trips!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
The proper calibration for the low fuel warning lamp starts by draining the fuel tank then filling with 7 liters for fuel. Then adjusting the adaption in the cluster to have the warning lamp come on at this point.

That said there appears to be a lot of variation in this value from the factory.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My best tank happened around the 1st of October this year. 817 miles 56.7 mpg. 5sp manual transmission, 2005 golf, manual makes the difference. I have a 2000 golf with an auto and I've never been over the 700 mile mark with that.

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
Made it on my last tank!
701.3 miles
15.17 gallons
54 average mph
46.2 MPG US
48 psi in tires
idparts winter front on for 60% of tank.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI

Don't think there was much more left. This fill up hit 15.3 gallons.
That fuel gauge needle is still in the red. Call me when it goes below the red, under the white, and settles where the needle rests when the ignition is switched off. I've done that once or twice to see how far it will go.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Made it on my last tank!
701.3 miles
15.17 gallons
54 average mph
46.2 MPG US
48 psi in tires
idparts winter front on for 60% of tank.

I'm impressed you got that much fuel in the car.

When I got this tank (only 700 mile tank in my '12) I added 14.77 gallons.

Thought that was a lot.

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
I'm impressed you got that much fuel in the car.
When I got this tank (only 700 mile tank in my '12) I added 14.77 gallons.

Thought that was a lot.
That's not the most I've ever put in either!
15.25 gallons is the most I've squeezed in. I only got 40.2 mpg on that tank though.
My best educated guess (based on my Bullydog reading 13.9 gal used when the fuel light came on) is that the most I could ever use is 15.8 gallons.
I probably won't ever go over 15.3 gallons used just to be on the safe side.

P.S. - The grill block is working great after my modification to the license plate bracket and adding some velcro the grill and pillows!

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Finally made 700 on this last tank. 709, it took 14.3 gallons to fill her back up. It was a trip from Atlanta to Tampa. then some local driving while I was down there. A couple trips over to St Pete and about 35 miles heading back toward Atlanta. I was sweating it with the local driving, but I made it. Display said I had 10 miles to empty. It showed 48.0 mpg, but when I figured it out on paper, it was more like 49.8. I waited for to foaming to go down quite a bit too on the refill, so I am pretty sure it is close to acurate.

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I would think any ALH/5spd with ventectomy done, should do 700mi to a tank
(17 gal. X 41mpg=697mi), now an 800mi tank would be something to talk about.

Mine will do 700mi easily and I drive it like I stole it with PP520s & VanAAken box.

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
784.26 miles/54.1 mpg

So after having the Injector Pump replaced, the car is back to being fast as all hell, well as fast as a TDI can be, and the MPG's have gone up very noticeably... I averaged 52 on the first tank after the injector pump was replaced and the second tank is 54.1 giving me 697.7 miles on 12.9 gallons. I filled up because I'm a cheap Jew (yes, I'm allowed to say that because it's true and it's true, lol) and couldn't pass up the super cheap diesel at this diesel truck stop that I was passing, despite really wanting to hit those next 2.3 miles for a solid 700. But I only used 12.9 gallons of fuel so if you do the math: if I would've kept driving and used the full 14.5 gallons of fuel I would've gotten 784.26 miles out of the tank that's pretty freaking incredible. Still love this car! 202,000 miles… And here's to another 202,000 miles. :)
BTW, at 697.7 miles, the fuel light hadn't even come on yet. And my driving during that entire tank was very hilly in the canyons, and about 50% city driving in South Los Angeles. It's kind of hard to believe.

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
727.0 miles. Fuel light went on at 720. Filled up with 12.95 gallons. B*tches, this 14 year old car just achieved 56.1 MPG, with only 30% highway, and lots of mountain/canyon driving.

This car just keeps getting better.

chris_kraft3

TDI
99.5 "GTD"
Made it!
First full tank where I haven't taken the battery out to work on it in a while.
700.3 miles
14.744 Gallons to fill
47.497MPG

Basically flogging it most of the time. Many a cold start idle's and 1200rpm warm up at lights. Mostly drove highway at 82mph half the tank. Probably 200 miles in town.
And I just put on a set of 17x8bbs rxII's with a final et of 0. Sits wide and fairly low. Just swiss modded the box, as well as straight pipe.

DanEboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Auto
Iirc, I did 820 in my 2000 Jetta auto!
Unfortunately I was across the street from the station when it went putt putt and stopped! 49.8mpg, wish I woulda' cracked 50!
No fun pushing car accross 4 lanes of traffic!
Had to prime the filter to start it back up.
Once into the 800 club was enough for me!

MPG MASTERS 1

Vendor
TDI
2005.5-2006 Jetta
New here, I have some earlier posts that say they added 15.2 and another at 16.1 at fill up.
How can you put 16 gallons in a 14.5 gallon tank? Jetta Mk5 sedan.
Just went through 700 and trying for 800, normal driving high speed interstate and some local driving.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
My last, and record tank:
X = Miles driven 719
Y = Gallons of diesel 13.902
Z = Dollars per gallon 3.419
A = Cost of fill up=$47.53
X/Y=MPG=51.719
A(100)/X=cents per mile=6.610

MPG MASTERS 1

Vendor
TDI
2005.5-2006 Jetta
Cool but for range distances, all should be using the smae amount of fuel.

In older cars you can remove the vent and fill the expansion tank. Not in yours.
Well, that is cool:), but it seems not a equal contest with more available gallons for a given distance trying to be obtained, true??