5th gear removal tips?

jakej78b

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI ALH 1.9
I've got the transmission out of the car, it's a spare transmission... I'm trying to remove the fifth gear set but it is incredibly tight on the splined shaft and I cannot get it to budge at all with my gear puller... any tips? Removed the selector already and I've got the gear on the top, the brass synchros, then the gear on the bottom, I'm trying starting with the big gear because I heard the big one has to come off before the little one.

Cheers.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’ve heard heat is your friend……a lot.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You can try a heat gun first, it's claimed that you need to get it up to at least 100C/212F. Judicious use of a rosebud tip
on an acetylene torch will give the heat a lot faster, but be careful. Possibly a propane torch will do it and be more controllable than the oxy/acetylene. Can you rig some kind of slide hammer to the puller perhaps??
Good luck!

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Use a good heat gun and get it to about 200 deg. Also you can use a 3 jaw puller but you have to modify it and be very careful so you don’t chip the teeth. I’ve done it both ways and using the heat gun was the best way I’ve found.

This is with out saying but make sure you removed the bolt in the center of the gear.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Just to properly worry y'all about applying too much heat; the driven large gear's roller bearing cage is plastic.
cheers,
Douglas