50 series tires..

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If your car is stock height (not lowered) then you should be able to fit them, but the 50 series adds almost a full inch in overall height so it may be really close.

You will, however, have several other possible issues; to include:
  • The speedometer being slow by about 3.5% (at 60 mph your speedo will read 57ish).
  • Tire selection will be more limited (less common size).
  • Brakes will not be as effective due to the increase in both size and rotational mass.
Going to a +1 or +2 sizing setup (18s or 19s with overall diameter remaining the same) will effect braking as well, but increasing only the tire size has more effect because all of the weight added is at the outer edge of the rotational mass.

Not saying they won't work or you can't do it, just points to keep in mind if you did, as they'll effect overall driveability of the car. If your goal is to increase sidewall height for comfort levels; your better bet would probably be a 235/45/17 as it adds some sidewall while maintaining almost the same overall diameter.

More info: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
PLEASE DON'T. Stick with the standard 205/55-16 or optional 255/45-17.

There is no reason on God's green earth to go crazy on odd tire sizes,
unless it is a fashion statement, which in my opinion is the wrong reason
to pick tires. The German engineers have calculated all parameters, and
the car is made for the above two sizes.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I'm guessing you meant 225/45/17? Because a 255 will not fit on any OEM golf wheel, it requires a minimum 8.5 inch wide wheel... ;)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
...your better bet would probably be a 235/45/17 as it adds some sidewall while maintaining almost the same overall diameter...
I went up to 235/45/17 and I'm very happy with the change. I have wheels from a B6 Passat, 17" x 7.5" ET47. The tires are "Grand Touring" all season Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45/17 94H. I also run the tires at 32 psi. It is quite comfortable, but still feels very sporty too. The fatter taller tires also fill the fenders a bit more, which I like, and there is no poke or any rubbing at all.

Here are a couple of pictures

From flickr

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
PLEASE DON'T. Stick with the standard 205/55-16 or optional 255/45-17.

There is no reason on God's green earth to go crazy on odd tire sizes,
unless it is a fashion statement, which in my opinion is the wrong reason
to pick tires. The German engineers have calculated all parameters, and
the car is made for the above two sizes.
"Ve are ze German engineers, und ve have calculated ze correct sizes for your car! YOU MUST NOT WAVER FROM OUR CHOICES!!! Failure to follow ze correct sizes will result in a visit from the OEM polizie! VE KNOW VERE YOU LIVE, UND VE HAVE VAYS OF MAKING YOU COMPLY!!!"

It's your car, put whatever size on you want. I specifically searched out and installed 225-50-18 LLR Michi's on 18 x 7.5 Audi wheels on my JSW to get a not-too-wide tire/rim combo, have decent ride quality, and get a bigger than stock circumference to offset some of the DSG gearing. A bonus is that it looks good, too. As to clearance, they fit without rubbing, but just barely.

Last edited:

chillman1971

TDI
2010 Golf TDI MT6 2 door
The reason I am considering a taller profile tire is my wife would like a little more "compliant" ride and some added rim protection as they have been curbed before and the existing tire has been pinched (the outer cover on the sidewall) and dented the lip on the rim. I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle is in poor condition.
I have changed tire series on many different cars and trucks and know what effects to expect for the tire being taller. If the speedo is off to much I could adjust it to 5% taller tire in the DIC for "snow tires".
The tire size is available with adequate choice of tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=225%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17
I was mainly concerned with clearance issues. I think I will also look into a 235 series.
ksing44 your tire selection looks good. Do the rims you selected have the same back spacing as the stock tdi rims?Thanks for the pics. You have the exact car my wife was looking for when we were called by the dealer for the on we have now. 4 month of searching

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
chill, you can also adjust the impulse number with VCDS (vag-com) to correct the readout more accurately.

chillman1971

TDI
2010 Golf TDI MT6 2 door
I know, I just don't have a Vag-Com for it yet. It is one of those things on the list to get, but house hunting is a higher priority right now.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
...ksing44 your tire selection looks good. Do the rims you selected have the same back spacing as the stock tdi rims?Thanks for the pics.
My wheels are a little different than the stock wheels. My stock Porto wheels were 17" x 7" ET54. My current wheels are 17" x 7.5 ET47. The wider wheel with lower offset, is essentially the same on the inboard side, but it moved out about a half inch on the outboard side. My front wheel/tire is almost flush with the lip of the fender and the rear is still tucked. I like how it gave me a wider wheelbase with a stockier look and the wider wheel is better suited for the 235 width tire.

This is my favorite wheel calculator
myturbodiesel tire-wheel-gearing-calculator

...You have the exact car my wife was looking for when we were called by the dealer for the one we have now. 4 month of searching
I know what you mean about searching for a car. I finally found mine on a ship headed to a dealer in Atlanta Georgia, then paid to have the car shipped to me at my home in Pennsylvania.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^That's a good idea too, taller but just slightly narrower! A good thing about the 215/50/17 tire is it would fit well on the stock 7" wide wheel.

Based on the calculator, my 235/45/17 has 0.18" more sidewall and the 215/50/17 has 0.245" more sidewall than the stock 225/45/17 tires. At 70 mph on the speedometer (assuming it was correct with OEM), the 235/45/17 is actually going 71.01 mph and the 215/50/17 is actually going 71.37. I think both are such small deviations it isn't worth worrying over, although I do think about the fact that I'm going 1 mph faster when I'm cruising down the highway.