5 amp fuse keeps blowing on TDI

cemcdani

TDI
2013 volkswagon passat tdi
I have a 2013 volkswagen passat TDI. I'm having a problem with the 5 amp fuse that runs the fuel pump relay and glow plug control module. So I can start the car and it runs for 10 seconds then the fuse blows and it dies. I bought one new fuel pump relay and rotated it through the two relay spots it still blows the fuse. I pulled the glow plug relay and it still blew the fuse. I replaced the fuel pump and it still blows the fuse. Any other suggestions on what I should do

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You could carefully check the entire path of the wiring from fuse to motor. In fact, try unplugging the motor and then see if the sue still blows, or just gets hot. Better still, just unplug the motor and then check the fuse for current flow. It sounds like the motor would still be good, but somewhere in there a wire has rubbed through and is shorting to the body, and thus blowing the fuse via excess current consumption.

This is the most difficult problem to find, which is why I suggested the motor off check for current.. You'd need to follow the wires the whole way looking for any chafe on all sides of the wire.

Good luck!

Cheers,

PH

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I had a similar issue in my 07, in the end I attached a spade terminal to my multimeter and set it to ohms, stuck one end in the fuse slot and the other on the battery earth. I then wiggled wires at the various things the fuse covered and found a wire for the egr had been rubing off the intake manifold causing a short.

The fuse took out my pump, turbo, maf etc

cemcdani

TDI
2013 volkswagon passat tdi
so I took it to the shop it was the moter on the turbo charger cooling pump. they replaced the pump and it runs good now

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
is that also why you have 2 threads about this?

rigoalhn

TDI
2014 PAssat TDI
so I took it to the shop it was the moter on the turbo charger cooling pump. they replaced the pump and it runs good now

I am SOOOOOOOO glad i found this forum. I am literally having the exact same issue on my wife's '14 PASSAT TDI.

Car wouldn't start. Found that F9 5-amp fuse blown. Replaced it and ran for 5-10 seconds and then dies. Tried it a second time and exact same thing. I tested the fuel relays and were all good.

Thanks to you, i will be replacing that motor now. I did noticed the computer givbing me a p023a code which is for that motor.

Just to make sure, is this the Auxiliary water pump?

That one?

Thanks a lot for your help!